Black Bear drops down on all four legs. He fixes his flaming yellow eyes on Lone Wolf and comes charging with a snarling, ferocious growl greater than the mighty grizzly bear. He closes the distance to Lone Wolf in mere seconds.

The Kiowa warrior stares blankly at the monstrosity before him. For the first time in his life, he sees a power he cannot fight, but it is a fight he cannot resist. He feels the weight of mortality lift off his shoulder, freeing him to be what he has always been:, a Lone lone Warriorwarrior. When his elk blade makes contact with Black Bear, it has no affecteffect. The strength and speed of the bear out matches him.

A safe distance away from the fight, Lone Wolf's brother Paw shouts out. , "Brother!" Pa shouts, a safe distance away from the fight. Paw feels deep Feeling regret for leaving his brother and, Pa's his love forces him to return. He knows he stands no chance against the beast, but his love for his brother is stronger than his fear. As he throws his tomahawk, he watches the beast bite down on Lone Wolf's clavicle. The blade sinks into Black Bear's back, but nothing changes. With great force, the angry bear persists in his attack.

Paw glances at his brother and feels a great sense of pride when he watches Lone Wolf struggle his right arm free and bury a steel bowie knife in Black Bear's side. The man- beast releases his bite and cries out in morbid pain as Lone Wolf pulls the knife out. Chief Black Bear is quick to repay Lone Wolf's defense with a long, powerful swipe across his chest. His claws rip the bone breast platebreastplate off and tear the black wolf emblem painted on Lone Wolf's chest. Blood flows over his red war paint and mixes in a way that is nearly impossible to see.

Lone Wolf doesn't scream, though the excruciating pain registers ion every nerve. Instead, he readies his knife and slashes Black Bear across the nose. The blade cuts deep and spews blood over Lone Wolf's face. Black Bear stumbles back and paws at his nose.

"FIGHT! FIGHT WITH ALL THE COURAGE IN YOUR HEART!" Lone Wolf commands his brother. He tries to lift his left arm, but the bite to his clavicle has rendered his arm useless.

Paw has an impossible hope that his brother stands a chance. Now he knows that the great Chief's chief's power will not protect him from harm. 'I must get in this fight,' he thinks as he quickly rushes for a spear. When he turns back around, his hope is dashed. Lone Wolf slashes at Black Bear's face and misses. He exposes his back. Black Bear seizes his opportunity to attack the Kiowa chief from behind. Lone Wolf receives many brutal blows before he loses strength and falls to his knees.

"THANK YOU FOR THIS LIFE, TAIME!" Lone Wolf shouts, unable to repel the ferocious attack.

Black Bear bites down hard on Lone Wolf's open wound and thrashes his burley head back and forth, severing Lone Wolf's shoulder. Though mere seconds have passed, Paw feels time stop. He sees the bear release his brother's mangled body, growl, circle, and attack.

A flicker of motion causes Paw to ready his spear. Two BearsTwo Moons has returned to help his father.

Paw looks down at his spear and up at his nephew. A single question surfaces in his mind. 'Do I join my brother in the spirit world today? My love for my brother compels me to rush Black Bear. But if I do this, my nephew will follow me to my doom..'

Paw looks at his young nephew and sees his brother's eyes. Though Two BearsTwo Moons's features are those of a young man's, he holds manly weapons and prepares to do the bidding of a man in a battle that his father has already lost.

Paw looks at his brother. He watches as Lone Wolf fights with the only weapon he has left, his bare fist.

Sorrow fills Paw's heart. He hears an eagle scream and looks up at the sky. The great white eagle has returned. It circles his brother.

Paw turns to his nephew, . "Don't attack him, Two BearsTwo Moons. He will use the love we have for your father against us. We will become regret."

Two BearsTwo Moons shouts, "Father, I am so proud of you! I am here. Your son is here. I see you, Father. Tell me what to do and I will do it." Lone Wolf flails his hand to keep his son back.

With his claws and fangs, Black Bear makes a failing attempt to scalp Lone Wolf.

'You put up a brave fight, brother. Soon, you will know no pain.' Pa tightens his fist around the useless spear handle. PawHe holds up his fist and extends his left arm. He raises his index and middle finger, then pulls his fingers behind his left ear and makes the sign of the Kiowa. 'Go in peace and walk on the wind.'

He isn't certain that his brother sees the gesture until Lone Wolf closes his fingers fist and makes the two-finger sign. But then, Lone Wolf does something else. With the last of his strength, he points. Paw looks to where he's pointing and then glances back at his brother.

When his brother's finger curls, Paw knows that the fight is close to over, though he mistakes' the sign for, "lLeave." He watches Black Bear's massive paws press down on Lone Wolf's skull. With several repeated crushing thrusts, the Kiowa Chief's chief's life comes to an end.

"Lone Wolf saved the entire tribe," Paw tells Two BearsTwo Moons.

"What was he pointing at?" Two BearsTwo Moons asks, readying a spear to attack Black Bear.

Paw traces the path of Lone Wolf's aim and sees the golden lance lying on the ground only a short distance from him. Now he understands.

A thoughtful note to the reader: First, I would like to thank you... Yes you! Grazie, as we say in Italy. If you would like to see this wonderful story come to life, we have made a trailer you can find on insta gram: harvestmoonofficial

If you would like to buy the book, you may find it on Amazon "Harvest Moon," by Zachary H. Lovelady. Both the book and kindle are for sale. Please leave a review and from us here on the eastern coast of Italy, to you wherever you may be, Merry Christmas.