Kannonzaka Doppo - Love's Thorns

Notes:
- Picture credit: @Bom_ya_  (twitter)
- Pairing: Doppo x Nurse!Reader
- Just a warning, you might hate me at the end of this oneshot (^^;

WARNING!!
This oneshot contains descriptions of depression! If you are uncomfortable with this issue, it is advisable for you not to read this.

ーーー

"[Name]-chan! Good morning![1]" your colleague, Akemi[2], greeted you as you walked into your workplace, a hospital on Shinjuku. The hospital is popular (especially among females) as Jinguji Jakurai, a former member of the recently disbanded rap group, The Dirty Dawg, is working here. You're a nurse, and worked in the therapy department, but you've met many people being referred by Jakurai-sensei[3] to receive therapy.

You changed into your uniform perfunctorily and walked to the registration counter to start your work of the day. 

Usually the ones who are here at this time of the evening are ones who have an appointment, so your work is quite easy as it only involves confirming the appointment and giving them the numbers for their turn. After you had passed a few people, you saw a redhead with a few neon highlights in his hair. He had dark circles under his eyes, and the fact that his eyes kept darting everywhere made you feel a bit bad for him. However, you couldn't help the feeling that you have seen him somewhere...

"Hello, is this your first time here?" You initiated the conversation with a smile, hoping to relax him a little. It proved to work, since his shoulders were less taut than before.

"Ah, yes. I'm referred here by Jakurai-sensei." he answered quickly, and you nodded at his reply. Another referral from Jakurai-sensei, it seems..

"Okay, for registration purposes, may I have your ID please?" you inquired, to which he handed you his ID (which you amusingly thought that he acted like he's giving his business card instead, you guessed he must be in the sales department). 

"Kannonzaka Doppo... eh? Could it be Doppo-chan?" you blurted out when you read his ID. 

"Doppo-chan?!" He reacted, and he was a bit grateful that you were focused in keying in his information into the computer to notice that his ears were turning red. His eyes caught your name tag, [Name]. His eyes widened in recognition, as he recalled a girl with the same name living near his house in his childhood.

"Ah, could you be [Name]-chan?" He asked, to which you smiled and nodded.

"So it is you, Doppo-san! It's been a long time!" you said and handed him his ID back with a card to record his appointments in.

"Well, here's your ID and therapy session card. You can sit there to wait for your turn. It's nice to meet a familiar face again, let's catch up sometime!" you explained to him. You'd love to chat with him a bit more, but you're in work and there are still people waiting in line.

ーーー

After the encounter, somehow you both had been having small talks when he came for therapy sessions. You became closer to each other and even exhanged LINE[4] information casually (of course, you're the one who initiated it). You even learned that he moved out of the neighbourhood after high school and lived in an apartment with his school buddy, Hifumi.

You were shocked to learn that Hifumi, a really popular host in Shinjuku was Doppo's friend. You've seen his posters[5] when you were walking with your friends for a girls-only night out. However, it amused you to know that when he's not a host, he's actually really afraid of women.

Your friendship continued after such long years of separation, and Doppo was such a gentleman. You usually finished your shifts at night, and since he has night appointments (due to work) he always wait until your shift ends before sending you to the train station, claiming that it's dangerous for a woman to walk alone at night. After a few weeks, suddenly Doppo confessed to you, saying that you were his childhood crush and asking you to go out with him. You wished you could take a video of that! He was so cute, stuttering and never having the courage to meet your gaze.