- "I think that won't be necessary just yet." –I smiled remembering the look on Clarke's face- "Also, I love your new look." –I pointed out the paint on her face.

- "Thank you, haven't seen it myself, but if you like it, then Sheda did a good job."

After that, we moved back to gather our stuff from our tent. I was sat on my bed when Sheda came by, handing Sam some clothes as she raised an eyebrow at him questioningly.

- "You can't go to war covered in that gross blanket or whatever that is. I know you used your jacket to cover Oreth so I brought you these; now put them on, you'll be coming with me."

Sheda left Sam hanging there, giving her no time to answer as I started laughing, unable to keep it together any longer. She shot me a threatening look so I raised my hands in surrender while she inspected the clothes: a jacket made of different fabrics and something that looked like a corset where I assumed she could keep her knives.

Once we were done and Sam was all dressed up, we got out of the tent as everyone started marching forward and so did we. For the most part, Sam and I walked together, eventually finding Indra who nodded at us in approval. After walking for a while, the last person I wanted to see came into sight. Clarke.

- "Hey."

- "What do you want?" –I asked her in a monotone voice.

- "I'm changing both your missions; you're not going to the mines with Indra and you won't be first-line with Lexa's warriors."

- "Last time I checked" -Sam glanced at her- "we didn't take orders from you."

- "I'm placing you both at the rear guard, where you'll be safe."

- "You were ready to let us die two days ago," -I pointed out, seeing the guilt washing over her face- "what changed?"

- "I'm trying to protect you."

- "Protect us?" –I almost laughed, but I was getting madder by the second.

- "We don't need protection, Clarke. What we need is to get close to that stupid mountain and save our people and both our positions are the best ways to do so, and that's what we are doing." –Sam was firm with her words- "I'll see you once this is over, O."

- "Don't get killed. I mean it. I don't wanna have to deal with Bellamy mourning you."

- "Same goes to you. I love you, O."

With that and a smile only meant for me, Sam moved away from us to find Sheda and Ion. We weren't afraid of dying and losing each other for this was a rescue mission but, still, I wished Sam would think things through before she did anything reckless, even if that wasn't very in line with how she usually moved. She had gotten more outspoken about her feelings, expressing them out loud for they were always crystal clear; I was sure it had to do with finding a family with me and Bellamy. That's all I wanted since we landed: Sam, Bellamy, and I, together. All the family I had and all the family I wanted, plus Lincoln, who had been obviously quickly accepted by Sam just like the big brother she deserved and whom Bellamy had slowly but surely started to see as family too; or at least I hoped he did. I was deep in those thoughts when Clarke spoke again.

- "I hope one day you'll understand why I did what I did."

- "Never. I'll fight this war with you now because I want our friends and my brother back but, after that, we're done."

Clarke looked at me, her eyes showed hurt but I couldn't care any less. At that moment, Indra came back to us and addressed Clarke, informing her the Commander was looking for her. Clarke spared me another look but didn't say anything else before moving away. There was nothing she could say to make me change my mind about anything that had happened the past couple of days.