Chapter 8: Diverge

Start from the beginning

So the virus did yield to those more dominant, at least from what they've gathered. Daniel seems to be the only corpse able to do what he can do. It must be because the virus isn't working effectively on him and this confuses the others. So far, they're using it to their advantage. Nobody holds the chain but David. Gwen changed her rules and now allows him outside the cabin, but only under David's surveillance. Sort of like payment for his act of kindness towards Space Kid. The young boy had been eager to approach them after the incident. Whenever Daniel was outside, Space Kid wouldn't hesitate to come near him, repeating his thanks and being awed at meeting someone infected up close.

He truly was a sweet kid. Max hasn't changed his opinion about him. Preston and Neil keep quiet, but the latter's been trying to find out what caused the undead to submit to Daniel as if he was some supreme being. He questions David the most but sometimes, he'd watch from afar and write things down in his notebook—something he carries around whenever they produce plans and bring up ideas.

David's trying to keep his distance. He tries to do it for the sake of not grabbing suspicion from the group. Surely, if he stayed and slept in the cabin with Daniel for consecutive nights, they'll catch on. He switches time to time, sleeping in the mess hall with the others then back to Daniel's cabin.

"To further observe him and find out what makes him superior among the rest," he says.

Gwen's heard enough of his excuses to roll with it. David often wonders if she had an idea what's going on between him and Daniel. It was something he had to bring up eventually. No secrets, he remembers guiltily. He fails even as a friend. But how could he bring it up? There never seems to be a right moment. His feelings were also jumbled up, what with Daniel's offer in the way.

He knew more than felt it when Daniel held himself back. Something about his actions seemed restrained, like he's wanting more but is hesitating. David observes the way he moves. Daniel combs his red hair back, fingers lingering a second too long in his locks. He nuzzles his shoulder, often pausing and inclining away. Something was troubling him.

"Daniel, is anything... wrong?" he asks him one day. They were assigned to keep watch as Gwen and Neil worked on the wall of rocks. They were distanced from the others so he figured it was okay to bring it up. The blonde looks at him confused and tilts his head. David chances a glance back at the two who were talking and working. He feels like he should be the one helping Gwen except they didn't entrust the kids to hold Daniel's leash. He continues in a low voice.

"Do you... uh," he hesitates. "I don't know," he looks away, stumbling over his words.

"Is something wrong with me?" David asks. "I mean, the obvious answer is yes. I'm kind of into... you," Daniel raises an eyebrow. Did he look offended?

"Not that it's an insult! The whole life or death situation still bothers me," David continues to stutter. He puts a hand on the nape of his neck, trying to calm himself down. "Gosh, why is this so hard? What I mean to say is, no, I'm not alright. I should be open to Gwen about this. Most especially her. I can't figure out my feelings. Heck, I don't know where to start."

Daniel steps toward him but David raises his hand. He looks back at the group. They were busy but that didn't mean one of them won't look around and catch them being too close for comfort. He takes his hand into his own.

'What do you feel for me?'

David instantly goes red. He didn't expect him to be this straightforward. "You know, I wish we learned sign languages instead. It's a lot more efficient," he chuckles uneasily. He's got his hand in a grip. Daniel's looking at him expectantly. Answer the question, his expression said.