twenty two

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE!
045. the rescue

||HOLD MY GIRL ||

||HOLD MY GIRL ||

❝ pick a place to
rest your head,
and give me a
minute to hold
my girl.

THERE WAS SILENCE around the compound when the jet closed in; even the airplane itself moved silently. The shadows of the men and women, hidden inside their black suits, ever so slowly stalked around the jet as they awaited their mission's commencment, only half aware of the gravity of the operation. When they entered the building, none of the soldiers seemed to understand the stakes, or the carnage they'd find between the walls of President Snow's domain.

Still, they took care of each Peacekeeper with precision, and ignored the setting sun which illumated the sterile corridors only slightly.

The red lights on top of their guns stayed trained on the doors as they tip toed up towards the cell block. The man at the front - who was impossible to identify due to his all black clothing - gently opened each set of doors before he allowed his team to pass through. Each time, his foot would test the surveillance in the next corridor, and his gun would protect the group from certain failure.

This pattern continued until the group entered the right room. Their guns were raised towards one particular cell, almost abandoned by the looks of things, before the team shared a knowing glance. In the darkness they still managed to convey a mutual understanding: after they hit, it would only be a matter of time before Snow knew they were there. Then, no matter who they had, they would be forced to make their escape.

The group were tasked with breaking out Lorna next, as she was in a special room among the elite of the Capitol. Nobody knew why (a couple of the group had theorised reasons which would greatly upset their team leader), but they didn't dare to think about it long enough for it to be a problem. They knew they needed her back in Thirteen, no matter the cost or rumours of treason.

Unlike the rest of the District, her betrayal didn't matter.

"Command, we are at the first target. Prepare to extract Peeta. Will confirm when he's in hand."

Upon request, a solider threw his canister which quickly filled the room with gas. Two of his teammates moved forward despite the foggy additon to each step - guns raised - as the lights began to flicker. It was a smooth operation, one which the team leader was impressed with despite the poor and rather fast planning. He was ready to commend his team; almost willing to whisper encouragement until the lights in the room turned off completely.

Gale held his praise back, alongside a string of swears as he realised their mistake.

The sound of his heavy shoes filled the corridors as he sprinted around corners away from the boy from 12. As instructed, two soldiers trailed behind him. When Gale turned another corner and found two Peacekeepers waiting for them, his backup were the ones who shot them dead. Without hesitation he kept running, until he turned left and became face to face with her cell, and finally allowed himself a moment to consider the deceased.