twenty

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR !
044. what cannot be replaced

|| FLAMES ||❝oh my love don't

|| FLAMES ||
❝oh my love don't

stop burning, gotta
send them up
in flames.❞

THERE WAS A slow, high pitched beep that brought Remy Titan back from his long slumber.

The noise irritated him; it was the kind of noise that he'd heard a thousands times a day when he worked at the power plant, slaving away to the tune of the reactor core cooling in it's metal chamber. Only he couldn't feel the excruciating heat that flew off the reactor in waves, and he didnt have the knowledge in the back of his head that dampened his moral until it was soaking from his place in the hospital bed. He, in fact, had no real knowledge settled in his mind until he opened his eyes. Even then, everything seemed fleeting.

At first glance, Remy though that there was some kind of snake on his arm. He jolted up from the sheets he was tucked under in panic (only partially hinderd by the cuts that screamed for attention) until he realised that it was a plastic tube attatched to him and not some kind of reptile. To his left a screen kep up to date with his fluttering body, and a low dull thudded in the air to enact the same rhythm of his heart. It was perhaps a cruel exercise for the boy who'd slowly recalled his time in the Hunger Games - a nurse would be able to specify the exact moment he'd remembered something particularly traumatic from his week in the arena. If they were especially skilled, they'd catch the exact second he considered his sister.

The bright light utterly frightened him.

Remy had always told Lorna and Lillian that there was a place after death for those that were good enough to get there. It wasn't because he was particularly religious - the mere concept had been long murdered  - but it seemed to always make the younger girls feel better. As if to mock him, he felt the sickening dread that settled so formally in his stomach grow with each passing second that he considered he hadn't been lying. But then, if this was the end of his life, why would he still be taped up to a heart monitor?

It was obvious he could've died in the games. In a way he wished he was;  he recalled Lorna thrusting a blade deep within her body moments before his eyelids became to heavy to bear, and took a quick glance around the sterile room for his sister. When she was nowhere to be seen, he settled on the fact that most of him wanted to be alive. The selfish part that knew that he would handle it better, because he'd had far more practise than either of his siblings.

The door to the bright room opened without a creek or loud bang to reveal a set of Peacekeepers, and Remy's heart monitor began to jump. He'd gotten his answer despite ever verbally asking - he was still alive, with the President gently sauntering between two of his most trusted men.