Chapter 1: Wistaria Tempts From the Past

"Have you heard of the story of Narcissus?"

The rich, sweet voice pursued Koremitsu from behind.

"He is the son of the river god Cephissus and the nymph Liriope, an outstandingly suave man, and girls naturally fell in love with him. Narcissus never accepted anyone's love however; because of that, he was cursed by the vengeful goddess Nemesis, he fell in love with his image reflected on the water surface. Every day, he would look at the water, tormented by the love he could not fulfill, lamented it, was frail as a result, and finally became a noble, slender Narcissus flower."

Koremitsu kept his back slouched as he scowled and moved forward, but that intoxicated voice would follow him around.

"The vengeance and envy of women are really terrifying. They do become completely spiteful once they learn that a handsome young man has no feelings for them. Ahh, now this is really irritating. My back is all chilly now. I do feel a lot happier looking at my pretty face than seeing that ugly woman with a similarly wretched personality within. Do you not agree, Akagi?"

(Ugh, somebody, do something about this guy!!)

Koremitsu's face was taut, and he kept groaning within.

He wanted to visit Honoka at the hospital, but Kazuaki kept pestering him.

Kazuaki had an infatuation for his half-brother Hikaru, and caused quite a commotion that implicated Yū, the one close to Koremitsu. Back then, Koremitsu definitely did shout the words "I'll be your friend in Hikaru's stead! I'll stay with you!"

Kazuaki was weeping, "What are you saying", and looked utterly displeased, but on the next day, he immediately got to Koremitsu's house.

—I do wish to marry this child I took utmost care of as your wife, Mr. Akagi.

With a guiltless smile, he stuffed the cage containing the stoic-looking chameleon to Koremitsu.

He said, "I wish for my dearest Third Princess to be doted well by my good friend, Mr. Akagi."

After seeing the expectant eyes and the blushing face, Koremitsu understood that Kazuaki was really trying to establish a friendship by marrying the chameleon, not out of spite. Thus, Koremitsu could not refuse Kazuaki and took the chameleon in.

He thought Kazuaki would be satisfied with that, but Kazuaki kept it up with excuses like,

"Mr. Akagi, you never learned how to take care of chameleons, right? Allow me to teach you."

He seized the opportunity to barge into Koremitsu's room.

"Wow, your room is as I thought, a small plain room befitting of a commoner."

He looked around the room curiously,

"I'll be going out."

He statedly indirectly that he hoped for Kazuaki to leave, but the latter,

"Is that so? Then I shall follow you. We are friends after all."

And nonchalantly followed Koremitsu. Koremitsu tried his best to act indifferent, but Kazuaki did not mind, instead dabbling away with floral knowledge like a certain flower otaku of a ghost, using the exact same sweet, rich voice.

Hikaru had his position taken by his big brother, and kept his usually chatty mouth shut, grimacing beside Koremitsu. Surely he too must be feeling conflicted.

(Was I too anxious to be friends with him? I never thought he'll be this annoying. It's really reminding me of Hikaru haunting me. Seriously, you guys are brothers, so alike.)