Lost in The Eyes of Poetry Episode #1:Lost in The Eyes of Poetry

( NOTE: I'll be editing this series and adding new "episodes" in the near future. Hope you enjoy reading it! :) )                                                                                                               

(Splash! Mizuki Yamashita throws a cold bucket of water in her son's face.)

Yosoku Yamashita:Huh... Yes, mother? What is it now?

Mizuki Yamashita:Hmmm... Not even a little murmur? I guess that I shouldn't be shocked though... I mean I have to throw a cold bucket of water in your face every other day just to wake you up. Otherwise, you'd never go to school. I tried calling out your name, I even tried shaking you, but to no avail. You sleep like a hibernating bear, you know that?

Yosoku Yamashita:Yes, I know, mother...

Mizuki Yamashita:What's got your boxers in a bunch?

Yosoku Yamashita:Oh, I don't know, mother. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm shivering, drenched in cold water.

Mizuki Yamashita:Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the waterbed... Anyway, hurry up and get ready for school. And by the way, I'll be calling the school just to make sure you don't skip. So don't get any ideas, kid.

Yosoku Yamashita:Ok, mother. And fine, I won't.

Mizuki Yamashita:Good. Well, have a good day, son. Love you!

Yosoku Yamashita:Yeah, yeah. I know.

Mizuki Yamashita:And...

Yosoku Yamashita:And... What?

Mizuki Yamashita:You know that I'm not leaving until you say it back, right?

(Yosoku and Mizuki have a stare-off for about 30 seconds until Yosoku gives in.)

Yosoku Yamashita:Huh... Fine. Love you too, mother.

Mizuki Yamashita:Well, you didn't sound like you really meant it, but ok. I'm off to work. See you later.

Yosoku Yamashita:Bye.

(Mizuki Yamashita walks out the door and heads for work.)

Yosoku Yamashita:Finally, she's gone! Don't get me wrong, I love my mom and all, but she can be a real pain in the balls! She's always nagging me; pestering me about going to school and finding a job. I'm only 14 years old! I'm still just a kid! Can't I just enjoy my childhood before Mother Time pilfers her away in a couple of Years? Not that my childhood's been all that great to begin with but I digress. I can understand why my mom feels the way she does though... You see, growing up in Kamagasaki, Japan, life hasn't always been easy or even guaranteed. Poverty and drugs play a big part in that. Where I'm from, most kids are either dropouts, deadbeats, or drug dealers. Seldom is there an in-between. Admittedly, I even sell drugs to make money. I tell my mom that I work odd jobs to earn some extra cash. Luckily, she bought it. If my mom ever found out that I was hustling in the streets, she'd never let me hear the end of it; she'd probably even kick me out of the house! Well, shack is more like it. Our house is a one story, 3 bedroom home. It's so old and run-down that it looks like a damn twister hit it. And I'm not even exaggerating... We don't even have running water! Fortunately, my best friend Baka does and he lets my mom and me shower at his place; he even lets us get water for cooking. Yeah, Baka is a really good friend. Oh, you're probably wondering about his name, huh? Baka is just his nickname. His real name is: Sumato. He actually prefers Baka though; he's not even offended by it. Don't let his nickname fool you though; Baka is actually a really smart guy. I think that he tries to hide his brainy side in front of his friends, because he thinks that they'll think he's not cool or something. That's probably why he walks around acting so foolish all the time. I told him many times that I don't care if he's a nerd or not, nothing will change between us. We'll still be tighter than Urkel's pants. But of course he doesn't listen to me... He still acts like he has a few screws loose. Oh, yeah, let me get back to why I understand my mom feeling the way she does. There is one more thing: my dad walked out on my mom and me when I was only 7 years old. It's like I said earlier "most kids are either dropouts, deadbeats, or drug dealers." My dad chose the deadbeat route. He was only 17 at the time... I remember when I was younger, I would sit by the window for hours waiting for my father to come home. But after about 3 years of waiting, I gave up hope. From that day on I despised my father! I hated him with every beat of my cold heart! And I still do... I'm not really worried about myself though, my mother is the one who I really fret for. My mother use to be so radiant, so vibrant, so full of life. But, ever since dad left, all she does is mope around like some kind of zombie. It shatteres me to see her like this, but there's nothing that I can do about it. I can only be the man of the house; I can only make sure that there's food on our plates; I can only be there for her when she needs me. I have to be the man that my father never was! I have to and I will!