The Birthplace of Magic

"... For I was right and you were wrong!"

"For goodness sake, Will, must you sing that song every five minutes?!" Sighed Jem.

"I has not had a chance to sing that song in 80 years! Oh the joy on Lightworms face I sang that to him for the first time!"

"Watch who you're talking about." Growled Alec.

"Do stop bickering!" Said Tessa, exasperated, "We need to figure a way out of here!"

"You're warlocks, you don't need a wand to do your magic." Pointed out Luna.

"I tried," said Magnus, "Apparently this dimension does not appreciate me trying to summon Chairman Meow from my apartment."

"Dimension?!" cried Simon, "You don't suppose we're in Edom do you?"

'No." Replied Magnus, firmly, "If we were, both you and me would be weaker due to the connections we have with my father. I suspect we have been taken to a previously untraveled dimension."

"Well this is great, isn't it?!" yelled Will, "They kidnap us, and take us to an unknown DIMENSION?!"

"I have a feeling, I know where we are." said Tessa grimly, "We must be in Peverell. The birthplace of magic."

*

"Sir? How? What-"

"Calm yourself, Harry." said Dumbledore, calmly, "Sit, yourself down. You too, Miss Lightwood, Miss Fairchild, Fray, Morgernstern, Garroway, do tell me what you would prefer to be called?"

"Um, could you please call me Clary?" Clary then hastily added "sir" she could sense his authority.

"Harry, Miss Lightwood. Clary, here, as you may know, has great capabilities. Capabilities other Nephilim could only dream of. She can create ancient runes, the language of the heavens. Now, Clary, as you know, the resurrection rune previously failed you. But that's the thing, this is one of my many theories; You tried it on a man who had only been dead a short time. He had not been accustomed to it, prepared for the worst. However, when you tried it on Mr Herondale and myself, we had both been dead a lot longer than the man you attempted it on in the Silent City. And now, Clary, I must ask you to never use this rune again. Even when it is most desired. Necromancy is a dangerous branch of magic, it is only to be used by those worthy of it. This is another theory of mine, much more likely than my previous, it has worked for you now because you have become worthy of it."

Dumbledore smiled at the three of them.

"Sir," Harry said at last, "Are you going to stay?"

"I will. Not for long. I sense danger is coming. Danger in the form of Lord Voldemort and the Morgernsterns. I am willing to fight. But once our battle is won, I will return to the wonderful adventure that is death."

Harry understood and nodded his head.

"Harry, I have also noticed something about you. You look about 17 or 18 years old."

"Oh, um accident in the Department of Mysteries."

"Well, I will have to welcome you back to Hogwarts this September. And Ron and Hermione too. No teenage wizard should be without an education."

Dumbledore winked at Harry.

"But-"

"You graduated years ago. Yes I am aware of that, Mr Potter. However I fear danger is coming to our school. And it would never do for Hogwarts to be endangered without you and your friends. Well, I am off into the school now. I expect the other teachers will be rather alarmed to see me. And before you leave, make sure you pay your old friend Sybill Trelawney a visit. I sense she will be vital in events to come."

And with that, the old professor swiftly walked away, as if he hadn't been dead for 11 years.

*

"Oh, I know of the Peverell family." Said Luna, "They were an ancient Wizarding family, presented the Deathly Hallows by what people say was death himself, the legend has been twisted and such over the years, but my grandmother actually had the original witness texts, until they were taken by the ministry of course. The fairy tale claims that three brothers were trying to cross a river, and cheated death in the process, however this is not true. The three brother had a companion as well. They actually came across a lake, not a river, and did not intend to make a bridge. The oldest of the Peverell brothers was foolish and against his youngest brothers warnings, bathed in the river. The middle brother saw no harm in this and followed suit, not before breaking the branch of an elder tree out of boredom and carrying it into the lake. The youngest brother advised their companion not to copy his foolish brothers, he had heard rumours of the lakes power. Then, suddenly the lake started to ripple, gradually getting more violent, until a great force pushed the two eldest brothers out of the water. This part of the witness account is rather shaky, the witness claims not to know what appeared of out the lake, he believed it must have been death himself, but could've been any other angel or demon. The being threatened to kill the two eldest brothers in the spot, but the eldest brother was cunning. He was willing to exchange his youngest brother and their companion in sacrifice for their lives, he then proposed for the two eldest brothers to be given gifts, and they sword they would never disturb again. The being agreed, reluctantly, firstly he took the branch of the elder tree out of the second eldest brothers hands and formed it into the most powerful wand on existence, however the oldest brother took the wand from his sibling and ordered the being to forge a new gift for his brethren. The being decided to give him a stone of resurrection. The two eldest brothers then left, driven power mad with their new gifts. Finally the being went for the youngest sibling and the companion. As he prepared to kill them, the youngest sibling managed to steal the beings own cloak of invisibility, and then he vanished without a trace. The companion was then killed. The rest of the account then mirrors the fairy tale version. My ancestors were the only people to remember the true story, they say that 600 hundred years ago, one of the Lovegood Lords stole it from the workshop of an immortal warlock. The fairy tale variation was made originally to stop children from thinking it was okay to thieve and sacrifice your brothers. But now most people have learnt the original, since the ministry found it last year."

The rest of the group sat in silence taking it all in.

"Of course," muttered Magnus, "I wondered where that went, I knew somebody must have stolen it from me. I was the eyewitness, and I wrote it down, and sent a watered down fairy tale version to a Wizarding publisher. I have since figured out that the being was my dear father, Amsodeus, before Raziel banished him from Lake Lyn."

"Yes," said Will, "But what does that bloody boring fairy story have to do with the fact we're in another dimension?!"

"Well," started Tessa, "From my years in the Spiral Library, I learnt that the being, that we can now acknowledge as Amsodeus, did not kill the companion, but left him to rot in un unnamed dying realm. Of course, the companion found the dying breed of wizards, and taught them spells he and Peverells created on their travels. The wizards then managed to create more and they say their spells are far more terrible, far more advanced and far more evil than the ones here. The Peverells were the original family of wizards, but this dimension, which he named after his betrayers, as a sign of respect to their greatness is commonly known as the birth place of magic."