Chapter Three

*Five Years Later*

   I just finished my first year of college, and let me just say high school does NOTHING to prepare you for this. Truly I thought I was going to be super prepared since I did so well in high school, but I did not do as well as I thought I would. I was taken out of my thoughts as soon as my phone started violently buzzing. What the hell. It's like 2:00 A.M. 

            555-0719: Hi, is this Emmerson Kinley? 

          Emmerson: Uhm, yeah. Who is this? 

   I was slightly confused. I had no idea who this number could belong to, partially because the area code is not from Michigan and because the number didn't ring any bells either. My phone began buzzing again, but instead of a text it was a facetime  call from the number. Okay, what if it's like a bad horror movie and this person is going to be in my apartment. Well, if I'm going to die, at least I should do it cliche. 

   "Hello, who is this," I ask as I answer the call. The call was lagging so the opposing person's screen was still black. Great, maybe this is a horror movie. 

   "Hi, Emery," said a familiar voice. There's only a selective amount of people who call me that. It couldn't be. There's no way after all this time that it could be. "It's me, Jake." 

   Holy shit. I hadn't heard from Jake since I've moved to Michigan. What is this. "Uhm, hi! How have you been," I ask. The screen finally decided to catch up with the call. It truly was the one and only Jake Paul. He still had his million-dollar smile and bleach blonde hair. His face looked so much more mature than it had been five years ago. 

   "I've been great. It's so good to like kinda see you. It's been so long. Look at you, you're all grown. My little Emery, you've turned out to be a beautiful girl." I smiled. Even though this was slightly awkward since you know, I haven't spoken to him in five years, it still felt normal, like a second nature. 

   "I can't believe it's you. You finally have grown into your face Jakey. What makes you reach out after all this time?" 

   "Well, let me just start out by saying, you are NOT an easy girl to find. For one, why'd you have to delete all your old social media accounts. I was FOLLOWING those. Second, thank god for Uncle Kade having a brother that lives out by you. But anyways, I have something I need to ask you, consider it similar to a favor." Oh god. Whenever Jake needed a favor, you knew some shit went down. Jake hated asking for help from others, he's one of the most stubborn and independent people I know. 

   "I may or may not be able to help you with your favor, what is it," I asked. I was a little scared to hear what he had to say. I also knew Jake was living out in California following his dreams to be a real star. What could he possibly need me for? I was just his childhood friend who moved away too soon. 

   "Well Em, Anthony has been going through a really difficult time out here. He keeps saying he wants to go home and he possibly might just do that. So I thought, why not bring a little home to him? You know. Be a good friend and keep him from leaving everyone out here," Jake started, his face was soft and sincere. There was quite a bit of background noise going on. As for my thoughts, I was a bit lost, I wasn't a Jake Pauler by any means so I didn't really keep up with his channel and life. I didn't even know that Anthony had moved out there. 

   "Oh, I don't know Jake. I haven't seen Tony in YEARS. I don't think he'll even remember me. I'm not quite sure how you even remember me. It's been years since I've heard from any of you. Maybe fly Rachel out? That would be truly bringing a little home to him," I responded. I don't know how Jake really even found my number, it's been changed since we've moved to Michigan. He, Anthony, and Chance haven't even reached out to me since I've moved. I mean the most they did was like my stuff on my old social media accounts that have since been deleted. 

   "You and I both know that's bullshit. Anthony brings you up caught often. He always is saying how if you wouldn't have moved, you guys would've been a power couple that no one could touch and our squad could never be beat. He misses you. Just the other day, which is what gave me this idea, he was talking about how he wishes he could reconnect with you. But okay, Anthony has just gone through a bad breakup with his use-to-be girlfriend Rocky. Well he's the one that did the breaking up but still. Then there's everything going on with Chance, Chance is leaving team ten. Which I honestly don't know if you even know what that is. But, basically, it's this business thing I created in L.A. and it houses a bunch of different YouTube talents/personalities. Anthony and Chance actually had a joint channel and now Chance is leaving and will be taking custody of the channel." Without taking a breath Jake said. I couldn't believe Chance would just leave the trio like that though. That's definitely not who Chance is. Apparently I looked confused because Jake started explaining again. "I know, I never thought Chance would leave us either, especially like so. But, apparently there's nothing Anthony nor I can do to change his mind. Trust me the both of us have tried everything to get him to stay." 

   There was so much to take in. Jake was asking me to come out to L.A. to help cheer up Anthony. Anthony. The boy who I was once head over heels for. The guy who was my first kiss. The guy I haven't seen or talked to in six years. The guy who I guess brings me up all the time in California. As much as I wanted to go I knew I needed to be an adult and get a job that would help pay for the debt that's been accumulating from school.  I was brought out of my thoughts by the pleading look that was growing on Jake's face. 

   "Jake, truly I would love to come out to help. It's just. I just finished my first year of college. I need to get a job that will help me pay for the debt that I've accumulated. I don't have the money for a ticket out there. It just would be weird you know. I haven't seen you guys in six years... Could we even function normally together after six years of no connection at all?"

   "Em, I think you forget that you're talking to someone who makes enough money to by you a ticket. I'm sure I could provide you with a job that will help pay from your school if you want to spend the whole summer out here. Emmerson, it would mean the world to me and I know Anthony. Nothing has to be weird, we're still the same old people at heart." Jake kgave me another desperate pleading look. One of the looks Jake knew I would have a difficult time resisting.