1 - LAST DAY

THE GLASS WAS UNCHARACTERISTICALLY POLISHED

THE GLASS WAS UNCHARACTERISTICALLY POLISHED. The entire building seemed to glitter under the glow of the rising sun, a golden hue cast upon the grey cement, the windows winking at passersby as they made their morning commute to their respective jobs, all taking the time to look up towards the building that seemed to be calling out, so much more demanding than usual, turning heads that, previously, never batted an eye.

Jude Costello sighed as he stood in the middle of the sidewalk, trying not to be jostled as he held onto the tray of coffee, allowing himself the time to look up towards the building that he had been frequenting for over a year at this point, the shiny red letters of the sign laughing at him as he furrowed his brow, creasing his unblemished skin.

The sign would still be there long after the day was done, but once the sun began to set, Jude wouldn't be back.

He sighed as he made his way over towards the door, not wanting to be late on his last day, pausing as he always did to readjust his tie before stepping through the revolving door that he had always secretly loved to go around and around, though he hardly allowed himself more than the necessary amount of turns before stepping onto the tiled floor, his shoes clicking against them and filling the room.

It took him all these months to stop being so paranoid whenever the sound of his shoes echoed, and now he was never going to hear them echo in the room ever again.

Maybe he was being dramatic, but he figured it was warranted. After all, even though the company could afford more than their fair share of assistants, they decided to cut the number in half and give one assistant to two employees, but Jude wasn't on the list of assistants they wanted to keep.

It was a travesty and, according to most of the people he passed by along the way to his boss' office, a sore mistake on the part of the company.

"Hey, Costello," Mr. Banks called, holding the elevator door open for him, and Jude ran as fast as he could, not wanting to spill the coffee on his nicest suit or shoes, sighing with relief when he made it, moving to stand towards the front, nodding towards some of the others in the elevator.

"Last day, huh?" Mr. Banks asked, and Jude nodded, feeling himself flush despite himself, looking at himself in the elevator glass, fixing his hair and, once again, straightening his tie, adjusting the cuffs of his sleeves.

"We're gonna miss you," the man said as the elevator stopped, the two stepping aside to let most of the others in the elevator in, all of them nodding in condolence to Jude.

Even if they didn't know him, it was always a shame when someone was let go, and they weren't so heartless as to ignore him, especially how news travelled around the building. Everyone knew that it was a sore shame that the new members of the board were being unnecessarily stingy, and it wasn't fair to take it out on the lowest in rank, save for the maintenance staff.