I hug her as well. "No. Leave everything exactly the way it is."

They scurry away to the other maids, and I walk around the room. All over the walls, there are pictures of Gerad. Some have Amberly in them, and some have Maxon, and some have me. A banner at the front of the room says, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCE GERAD!" and several posters around the room have the number two on it. I remember my mom saying "the terrible twos." I wonder what she meant by that.

My whole family should be coming any minute. Kenna's husband is even coming. And maybe even Kota, even though he'll probably be grumpy  the whole time.

And I thought Gerad's first birthday party was grand. It was, of course, but this is so much bigger, and much more thought out. I hope Amberly's party will be like this. Amberly and Gerad are a year and a half apart. So in six months, Amberly will turn one.

Eventually I run into the food tables. When the cooks aren't looking, I sneak a chocolate truffle into my mouth. It tastes like heaven.

When I finish chewing, I turn to the cooks and say, "You've outdone yourself. This is amazing." I look at the cake and my jaw drops. "Oh, my gosh! That's amazing!" 

They've piled layer apon layer of Gerad's interests. They have cars, trains, planes, and even helicopters! He's into all the transportation stuff at this age.

They all bow and curtsey. I shake my head. "You've done so wonderful. You've proven how amazing you are- even though all my meals are fabulous as well. So please. No need to bow or curtsey, and call me America."

I have a feeling I'll be telling people that for a long time.

-

Very soon, noon rolls around. Someone turns the lights off and we all hide behind tables and chairs that are in the room. I hide behind the closest chair, with my camera ready. I want to capture the look on Gerad's face. And Amberly's, as I expect she will be surprised too. I just hope she won't break into tears. 

Maxon will be bringing them to the room, saying he though he heard something in here. With Gerad in one arm and Amberly on the other, he'll walk in, turn the lights on, and everyone will yell "Surprise!" just like they did at the surprise party they threw me.

I'm sure Gerad will have a blast.

We have various games and activities planned, but anyone can do whatever they choose.

I had told the guards to wait until Maxon entered to surround the room, so that the kids don't get suspicious. Gerad is a very smart kid.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, the door creaks opena and the lights flick on.

I jump up and exclaim, "Surprise!" and snap a picture. 

Gerad and Amberly both start laughing. They're such happy babies.

I run over to them and kiss Gerad on the forehead. "Happy birthday, honey." I reach for Amberly and rest her in my arms.

The rest of my family comes and gives Gerad a bunch of hugs and kisses. Amberly gets love, too. May is by far the most excited. She's all giggles and is eager to play with the kids. 

Gerad gets down from Maxon's arms and exclaims, "Presents!"

Maxon and I both laugh. "Yes, presents," Maxon says. "We'll open them later."

Soon, the whole place is buzzing with excitement. People eating, admiring the pictures on the wall, and playing with the babies. Astra, Kenna's baby gets along well with Gerad. They're a year apart, about.

Hours pass. I'm just about to yell, "Cake time!" when the lights go out. I can still see, since there is a window. But sadly, it's a cloudy day so it doesn't produce much light.

Maxon and I exchange a glance and race for Gerad and Amberly. Amberly starts crying, and I try to calm her down. I fear that I know what's happening.

"Everyone!" I hiss. "Don't be alarmed. Stay behind a table or chair. Stay safe- stay behind something at all times. Be as silent as possible."

Maxon, our kids and I hide behind a long couch. A nod from Maxon confirms my guess.

The door busts open. I dare to peek from behind the couch, Amberly wrapped in my arms.

Sure enough, the man's shirt says "E.T.M."

I place Amberly in Maxon's arms. "America, what are you-"

I silence him with a kiss. I rub Gerad's and Amberly's head, pull out a gun, and shoot blindly at the door. I hear a cry, but I know he's not dead.

Shooting as fast as I can, I race towards the man. His gun was knocked out of his hand, leaving him with a bullet mark in his arm and defenseless. 

With my foot, I shove his gun to the other side of the room. 

To his surprise, I rip of the lower half of my dress. To reveal jeans. Ever since the attack at Aspen's house, I've had my maids design dresses to do this. I've also been taking fighting lessons. I know that these rebels are a serious threat, and I need to be prepared.

I know people are watching, so I won't be brutal. I'll take the defensive part of this fight, which I specialize in, according to my trainer.

I block his punches and punch back when I can. His punches are hard- I hope he doesn't break my arm.

Maxon must be with the kids. They're crying loudly. I can hear that. And so can the rebel. He smiles cruelly and lunges towards the chair. I swipe his feet out from under him and go to punch him but I can't. Why haven't I shot him yet?

Right. Because he knocked the gun out of my hands almost immediately.

Before I know what's happening, he's back on his feet. And his fist connects with my jaw. I don't know what happens after that, because I'm swallowed by darkness.

-

Hey, guys! Sorry it took so long to write this chapter. First off, I had my phone and computer taken away, and second, I kept on getting interrupted while writing.

I'll post again soon, don't worry!

On Friday I will be going on vacation, so I don't know how much I'll be writing.

And then the week after that, school starts. So my posting might slow down. Hopefully not too much!

Anyway, I'd like to thank @TheOneForever386 - for being an active reader and always supporting me and being an AWESOME writer - and @KatiMEE - for always worrying when I'm not actively posting and being an active reader.

You're all awesome!

-Eve