Chapter 4: Surprise!

When Damon and I entered the Grill, everyone was already there. Caroline was very close to passing out, as she had had more than enough to drink. Bonnie and Jeremy were sitting in a booth with some fries and nachos, while Matt was keeping Caroline company at the bar. Damon and I joined Bonnie and Jeremy at their table. 

"How's it going guys?" Damon asked while munching on some nachos and cheese.

"Oh you know, same old, same old. I have to admit, it's been kind of nice without some drama for even a day," Jeremy responded.

"Oh for sure! Elena, I'm so glad Klaus hasn't showed up to ruin our day. It's been really nice. Just a normal day, for once!" Bonnie exclaimed. 

"Yeah, today's been a good day," I said, winking at Damon. He smiled back at me. 

"Sure, it's been alright, but I think it's going to get even better as the night progresses, don't you think?" Damon winked back at me.

"Ok, what was that? Can we keep the flirting to a minimum here? I'm still trying to get used to the fact that my sister's with you now..." Jeremy looked at Damon. 

Damon put his hands up in defence, "Chill, Jeremy, chill." 

Jeremy shot him a dirty look. 

"Guys, can we just forget about it? Let's enjoy tonight," I intervened.

"Oh yes, let's!" a voice said from behind.

"Katherine?" Damon asked, suprised.

"Stefan?" I could see him next to her.

"Suprise!" Katherine responded, "I thought we'd join in this little party you guys are having."

"What...so are you guys together now?" I asked, curious to know.

"Oh, Elena, Elena, Elena. Feeling a bit jealous now, are we? You can't have both Salvatores, you know. I learned that a while ago!" Katherine sneered.

I glared at her. Damon intervened, "Katherine, just answer the question. We're all curious here."

"Brother, what is this?" Damon asked Stefan.

"It is what it is, right?" Stefan spoke for the first time.

"Enough of this cryptic talk! Yes, we're together, Damon. Is that a problem? You're more than welcome to join in," Katherine smirked.

"No, thank you. I'm fine where I am!" Damon shouted, angrily, "You two enjoy yourselves. We're leaving."

Damon took my hand and got into the car. 

"Damon, what's the matter? It's okay, if that's what Stefan wants..."

He drove home quickly and took me inside. He sat on the couch with his head in his hands.

"Believe it or not, Elena, I'm worried for him. This isn't going to end well. Katherine's a bitch - she plays games, and nothing more. Unless she's changed, which I doubt, then I don't think Stefan's going to take this well. She'll end it harshly, of course. Who knows what he'll do afterwards?" 

Damon began to cry. 

"Hey, shhh. Damon, we're going to make it through this okay? Stefan's strong. Maybe he has some sort of plan, maybe he knows. Or maybe he just wants to hang around Katherine as a friend. He'll come back soon, k?" I held Damon in my arms, wiping away his tears. 

"You know what? You're right, Elena. I'm being unreasonable. I'm sure everything will be okay. I surely hope so," Damon smiled.

I kissed him, "Now, didn't you say you were going to make up for something?" 

"Oh yes! How could I forget that?" Damon carried me to his room. 

He hovered over me in his bed and kissed me. I pulled off his shirt, and we continued kissing each other. 

"Damon," I sighed.

He kept kissing me and his lips trailed down my neck, and then up to my ear, and he whispered, "I love you, Elena." 

"Oh, Damon, I love you too," I sighed happily. 

He pressed his body against mine, but didn't stop kissing me. 

"Damon, don't stop," I held him closer.

"Wasn't planning on it."

I laughed, as his sweet breath tickled my ear as he whispered to me. 

"Elena, I promise I'll never leave you, hurt you, or betray you again. I'm so sorry for all the times I hurt you. I don't deserve you," Damon said apologetically. 

"Damon, don't say that. It's okay, I forgave you a long time ago. Don't you dare say these things, Damon," I touched his face, "Come here." I kissed his lips as he came closer. 

"God, I don't know how I've resisted you for so long, Elena."

"Me neither..." I said as I twisted my fingers in his hair while he kissed me on my cheek.

"Well, I do have that effect on people," Damon smirked.

I hit him playfully, and brought his face closer to mine, "That's funny, Damon," I said sarcastically. I ran my hands up and down his bare chest while he kissed me. 

"Well, would you look at this?" Katherine and Stefan stood near the entrance of Damon's room.