Another Perspective

I want to melt into this sofa.

While I admit that I am not completely sure what is going on right now, one thing is certain; Ae is very good with his hands. I have been tense all week, I know that, but I never exactly imagined the release of that stress to be under in this circumstance.

I barely know Ae. He appears to me to be a bit... frantic? It's like he doesn't really know what to say, but at the same time he comes across as head strong; reliable, trustworthy.

His hands are working my shoulders; I am very conscious of this. There's a slight numbing sensation at the bottom of my spine – I don't what it means but it feels nice, and I can't help but expose my neck a bit as Ae works a particularly hard muscle. I want to fall asleep.

His phone rings.

My eyes snap open again. I fully realise what just happened; I, Pete, just received a shoulder massage from a boy I met this morning, in his living room.

A lot of things in that sentence, particularly boy­, send heat to my face. This is so embarrassing, I don't know what to do. I look up, and see Ae place his phone to his ear, an unimpressed frown upon his face. He has one hand on his hip, and is looking toward the window. His eyes are pretty.

I stand, awkwardly, and quickly head toward the door and go to put my shoes on. I can't help but hear Ae's conversation, and feel guilty for prying.

"What do you want, Pond?" He says, his voice deeper than usual. It takes me off guard slightly, and I fumble with my laces. He waits for a few seconds, as the person on the other end responds.

"Well thanks because you've scared him off..." He pinches the top of his nose, and glances toward me. Both my shoes are on but I feel uncomfortable leaving before I can thank him for his... hospitality.

"My friend, Pete," he says, having undoubtedly been asked who 'him' is. "Listen, Pond, I'll call you back later?" He hangs up.

"Pete, um, are you alright now?" He asks me, and I notice his voice has changed back to a lighter pitch.

"Yes, thank you. I'll be going now... I'll see you tomorrow?" I open the door, and my body is halfway out the apartment when Ae's hand suddenly grabs mine. I don't have time to move, and now my back is pressed into the door frame, and Ae's face is very close to mine. I know I must look like a tear-stained mess, but I can't do anything... I can't break away.

"Are you sure you don't want me to take you home? What if you get lost?" He offers, concern ringing clear in his voice.

I shake my head and smile slightly.

"I will be fine, I don't want to trouble you. See you tomorrow, Ae." I respond, with all the confidence I can. Ae takes a step back, and I slip into the hallway. My hand feels warm.

I head to the stairs as Ae leans on the door frame and nods. He crosses his arms, and bites his lip for a second. For a moment I feel that he may be as uncertain as I am. But, the wide smile he now gives me removes that thought from my head.

"Alright, see you tomorrow." He calls, before closing the apartment door.

When I hear the click of the lock, I collapse against the banister, my chest heaving. I feel I've stopped breathing and now suddenly oxygen is re-entering my lungs. I stumble down the stairs and out of the building, the afternoon sun still low in the sky as dusk approaches.

I lied when I said I'd be fine – I have no idea where I am. Luckily, I know my postcode, so I enter it into Google Maps and follow the directions, my shoes scuffing the pavement as I follow the little arrow in earnest. However, my journey doesn't take as long as I had expected. In fact, only two minutes later am I stood outside of my own apartment building.