Chapter 1

3 years before the apocalypse
3:00 PM

Rose's POV
"Mom, can I go over to the park? It will only be for a little while, I promise." The park was never full of rowdy children or screaming parents. It was calm and quiet, something I never got at home. It was an easy place to go and think, or just let your anger out. It's almost like the trees listened to you, or at least it felt like it. My mother looked at me with a frustrated look on her face. "Okay fine, but you have to be back before it starts to get dark. I don't want your father to be mad at you." Her eyes softened. "Please, Rose."

My father was never around so much, normally he was at work. Although, if he was at home, he would fight with my mom. I don't know why, but the arguments were almost always about... me. It sounds like he's mean to me, but he shows his love in other ways, like buying me my favorite snickerdoodle cookies and putting them on top of the refrigerator. It's not like he wanted to hurt me, he just did.

Even though I'm 15, I'm not allowed to do much or be like the other kids my age. "I promise I'll be home before it gets dark. You don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine. I love you." And with that, I was out the door.

Michaels POV
          I looked at my work in awe. The dead possums bloody corpse was definitely my best I've ever done. Its  perfectly slit throat was so satisfying, as were the drops of blood that I smeared into a star. Stars are my favorite shape, I've always liked them. Killing was so intriguing, but that doesn't mean I wanted to do it. I know it's wrong, but I just can't stop, and I don't know why. I almost felt a need to kill, something, anything I could get my hands on. Grandma didn't like it though, which made me sad. I didn't wanna disappoint her but I always did, and that made me feel disappointed in myself.

          My thoughts were interrupted as I heard the clicking of my grandmas heels coming up the stairs. She was gonna see what I did, and the mess I made. "Michael, can you help me for a second? I need you to come with me to the store to get some rose seeds for the garden." I quickly picked up my butcher knife and hid it under my bed. I cleaned off the rest of my work area as I put the possum in the closet.

          "Oh, there you are. Did you hear me?" She looked me in the eyes and suddenly looked around the room. "What is that god awful smell? Michael, what did you do?" I didn't say anything but return the eye contact. "You killed something again didn't you?" I nodded. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to. I don't wanna make you mad again. I can try to change it's just hard. I'm only a boy." Her face changed from confusion to anger in seconds. "Yeah, you're just a boy that grew 10 years overnight. You're just a boy that kills innocent creatures for the fun of it. You're just a boy that's a psychopath just like his father!"

          She never talked about my father. I don't even know who he is. In fact, this is the first time she has given me any real information on him. "W-what? Why would you say that grandma?" I looked at her with tears in my eyes that were threatening to fall. "You've always been demented Michael. It's like you were made that way. You're not even my grandson, you're a monster." That was it. I couldn't take it anymore. "Fine! If you feel that way I'll just leave! I'm never coming back!" I ran out of my bedroom as I passed a girl crying on the floor. She was wearing an oversized orange cardigan.

Go run and hide Michael! That's all you ever do!" I ignored her as I left, vowing to never come back.

Ooh what do you guys think is going to happen? I'd love to hear your theories. I'm so excited to write more of this story! I actually really like it and I have a lot of stuff planned. I don't have a certain posting schedule so these chapters will be uploaded at random times. I'm sorry if that bothers you, I'm just not a very organized person but maybe one day I will be. You better of had a great day! Bye :)