"This was when we were on a school trip to the mountains," Neema says with a smile. 

"What are these marks," I asked looking at the white paint marks on their face and arms. 

"Umm...Our family has a tradition where once you become a certain age we have a rite of passage ceremony. These marks represent the family you are from. They would take you to the mountains where you would eat and pray and be one with nature. And when the full moon is at its peak you will have to go through a very painful transformation and after that transformation, you are welcome into the family and adulthood." Neema answered. 

"Oh wow," I said in awe. My mom looks so beautiful. Her hair was in an afro and she had two braids on each side of her face with big white beads. She is wearing a beautifully printed cloth that was yellow and red and a flower crown. This is the first picture I have seen her with a serious expression. 

"Zoe, have you done this before?" I asked. 

"Yeah, I have when I was sixteen. But it wasn't as big as this." She answers.

"Yeah, it looks like the whole city came to this," I said with a smile. I flip the book to see a photo of my mother and a young man next to her. They were near a waterfall surrounded by trees and rocks. The man picked my mom up in his arms and my mom has the biggest smile on her face. 

"Is this my father," I said looking at the man. I couldn't tell if I looked like him or not because the photo was a little too bright and his eyes were closed. I quickly try to find another photo of him that's clear. The photo I found is a picture of him and my mom standing in front of a yellow jeep. He looked like a jock the way his body was built. I smiled at the photo.

"H--He looks like me," I said in shock. We have the same eyes and head shape and smile. It's amazing. I--I-- never thought I would feel this way. Looking at photos of my mom's life and my father made me feel closer to them. 

"Yes, that is your father. And let me tell you your mother as head over heels for him." Neema said with a laugh. "Your father didn't care nor notice your mother. Your father was a very serious person, unlike your mother. And when your mom first laid her eyes on him---" Neema starts to tell me stories about my mom and father's relationship and how it was like. My mom and dad were very popular at school and everyone knew of their relationship. She also told me funny stories my mom did to get his attention. Although she wouldn't tell me his name this was enough. I had pictures and faces. I now know what my father looks like and where I get my looks from. I know what kind of life my mother used to have and in seeing all these photos the seems like my mother and Neema had a fun wonderful life. I don't understand why they choose to give everything up. 

I learn more about my family's traditions and customers and about the school they went to. Everything I wish I could have experienced.  Seeing it was getting late Neema told me she would tell me more stories tomorrow. I can see talking about my mother also brought a smile to her face. She looked so happy to talk about my mother can I can see she really did love my mom.

I go to my room to get ready for bed, but before I go to bed I give Eric a call. 

"Imani!" I heard him yell as soon as he answered my call. 

"Yes, Eric it's me," I said. 

"Where the hell have you been? I have been looking everywhere for you. I thought you killed yourself or something. I came to visit you the next day only to find your place empty. What is going on?" He said sounding worried. I felt really bad leaving him hanging like that. 

"I am sorry Eric but there was something I need to take care of first. I found something at home that could be a clue about my family. And I didn't want to tell you in case I would be disappointed."

"Imani, you know I always got your back. I would have gone with you." He says. 

"I know, I know. But you already have your life planned out. I don't. I just wanted to find things out for myself. I am sorry I didn't tell you." I said. 

"So I am guessing the reason you finally called me is that you found something." He says. 

I laughed "Yes, Yes I did. Right now I am staying at my mother's childhood best friend's home. Today she finally gave me some information about my father and mom. She showed me pictures and told me stories about my mom and dad. I--I don't understand why my mother would run away from all of this and not tell me. She had an amazing life, Eric."

"Maybe she had her reasons? What else did you find?" He asks. 

"So far that's it. I have been trying to get Neema the woman I am staying with. To tell me what she knows about my father. Luckily I at least have a photo. But for some crazy reason, she wouldn't tell me more about my family. Like if there are alive and where I can find them. And what's even crazier she is doing the same thing with her own daughter. Eric, they live in the middle of nowhere in a forest outside the city. Like--I--I don't understand who the hell wants to live out here? there is nothing Eric. Gosh, just what is so bad that they had to choose this kind of life." I said shaking my head and laying on my bed. 

"Where exactly are you?" Eric asks.

"Oh, I am in North Carolina," I said. 

"All the way out there? How did your mom get to Cali?" He asks in shock. 

"Let me tell you the trip wasn't easy. I found a letter and a map that lead to this place. That's how I was able to come here. There were so many stops, trains, and buses. I almost gave up." I said letting out a sigh. 

"Wow, So what is the plan now?" He asks. 

"I am going to stay out here a little longer and see if I can find any more clues about my father. I want to know if he is alive and knows and if I even exist." I said. 

"What if he already has a family of his own?" Erick asks.

I let out a sigh. "I--I am not sure. Up until now I never thought my mother was keeping secrets from me." I answered. 

"Well, I wish the best for you Imani. And if you need anything give me a call." He says. 

"Thanks, Eric. Oh, how about this I'll send you a photo of my family and you can go online and see if you can find any information about him. Since I am in the middle of nowhere internet is hard to come by." I said. 

"Okay, no problem just text me the photo and I'll let you know if I find anything." 

"Thanks, Eric. I'm going to bed I'll talk to you later." I said. 

"No problem. Imani and be safe okay."

I end my call with Eric and get ready for bed. I start to think about the question Eric asked me. 

"What if he already has a family of his own?"

I honestly don't want to think about it. I don't think I am ready for that yet. Right now I just want to focus on finding out what else my mother was hiding from me and what was she running from. It's been decades since my mom left this place shouldn't the reason she left no longer be a threat to her and Neema? Why is Neema still hiding out here? So any questions spin around in my mind until I finally fall asleep.