"I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you any other family members?" 

"Yes, I have an uncle that's all I know. And my mother doesn't  really like talking about him." She says. I look out the window as we pass by trees and land. 

"So how did you go to school if you guys live so far out?" I asked.

"I was homeschooled."

"Wow, do you even have any friends?"

"Online, yes" She answers with a surge of her shoulders. 

Throughout the drive, we take turns asking questions about how we both grew up. And it turns out Zoe and I are not that different. We both love to read and write and listen to the same kind of music.

North Carolina is nothing like California. It's a very chill and quiet state. Not as busy and popping as LA. The area did not match my mom's personality which was loud and colorful. Zoe took me to a nice restaurant to try some wine, but sadly I am not legal yet. We then went to the mall for some light shopping and saw a movie. When we got home it was time for dinner. I went to the bathroom to clean myself up to get ready for dinner. 

"Um...Imani I would like to apologize for my behavior yesterday. I can see how hurt and how much are choices affected you as well as my daughter too. But Imani there are some things you will never be able to comprehend if I were to tell you. There are things and involvement that are not common to normal people. Please try to understand that your mother loves you very much and that's why she ran away in the first place." Neema says. Because she refuses to tell me anything not even the name of my father. I find it very hard to understand where she is coming from. 

"You will no longer be alone you'll have us now. We will be your family." She says with a smile. I look around the cabin and then back at her.

"You mean hiding?" I said confused. 

"Excuse me?" She says confused. 

"I have spent my whole life moving from place to place. With just my mom and me. I came here for answers not to hide or run away. How is staying here any different than when I was back home? You want me to stay here in the middle of nowhere?" I shook my head. "I should be out there around people and exploring the world. Not locked up in the middle of a forest. I mean look at Zoe she is 23 years old and hasn't met any real friends? what kin---"

"Enough!" Neema yells at me cutting me off. I jumped in shocked. 

"I will not have you insult me and how I choose to raise my daughter in my own house. If you have a problem with it you are welcome to leave. I won't stop you."

"Come on Neema. This isn't fair. I have the right to know about my family and who my father is. What is so bad about that? and how can I understand anything if you don't tell me anything? How is this for the greater good? What life is this? Where I don't know who I am or where I came from. Look where you and my mom's secrets have gotten us? Me with no family and you alone with no support. Are you not tried?" I said feeling annoyed.  For a long time, Neema just looks at me without a word. Letting out a sigh and gets up from the table. I look over at Zoe who just looking at me in shock. I really wish she had my back for this because I know this affects her too. But I understand this has been her reality all her life so she has chosen to accept everything.

Neema comes back with a black book. She opens up and it's a photo album. 

"This belonged to your mother." She said. I take the album and look through the photos of my mother's childhood. As I said before my mother was very outgoing and spirited. From her smile, I can tell she enjoyed her youth.