“And… what are y’all’s plans for tonight?” I switched to Bluetooth as I eased out of my parking spot, looking over the boxes piled up in the back seat. Anything that couldn’t fit and I didn’t need within the next week was already in the mail to my parents’ house.

“I’m going to surprise him. He thinks I’m coming home tomorrow.”

“Need to release some of the stress there?”

The air conditioner kicked in, and I rolled the windows up, laughing at her antics. “Yes. Yes, I do. Two weeks has been long enough.”

“Just don’t ruin his suit when you claw at him,” she joked at his constant attire. A suit made the man, but he definitely looked better without the suit.

 “As soon as I knock on the door, I’m stripping him of all three pieces.” I gripped the steering wheel tighter. Two weeks had been too long.

“Don’t knock. Use the key! He gave you a key! You’re supposed to be moving in tomorrow anyway. Just use the key!”

“Should I? I mean, I should. It’s practically my apartment now.”

“Yes! Do it! Okay, just text me when you get home. Maybe we can all go out tomorrow for ladies’ night,” she said, piquing my interest.

“So, which suit of Ryan’s coworkers do you want to ruin?”

 “I didn’t think he’d let you go alone, so if that’s the case, I’m not picky!” She laughed over the phone.

“You are so picky, Katherine.” I slid on my sunglasses to block the sun’s rays while ignoring her jab about Ryan not letting me go out alone. He was just protective, but she wasn’t the one marrying him. I was. She would just have to deal with it. Besides, he hadn’t seen me for two weeks. I didn’t think he’d let me go alone, either. “I’m merging into traffic, Katherine. I’ll text you later.”

“Okay. Be careful.”

“Love you. Bye.” The phone powered off as I turned up the new country crooning on the radio.

After the two-hour-plus drive to Charlotte, I stopped at a convenience store and picked up a six pack of Ryan’s favorite beer. A few signal lights and a right turn later, I idled in a parking spot as I stared at his apartment complex—our apartment complex. I couldn’t believe I was finally going to be with the most perfect man.

Excitement pulsed through me as I got out of the car, lugging my bag and the six pack of beer along with me. I climbed the flight of stairs to his door with the key clutched tight within my grip. This was my home now, too. There was no reason why I shouldn’t use it. I stared at the lock, the key resting just inside, but I couldn’t push it in. Ryan preferred structure and an organized schedule. Very early in our relationship, I decided to go away for the weekend with Katherine. She needed a breather from work and I needed one from grad school. He went over the edge when I didn’t go visit him that weekend and went to Myrtle Beach instead. The texts and phone calls were crazy. That just proved how much I meant to him so early on. He still called and texted like crazy. I never understood his constant need for reassurance, but I knew barging in on him was something I didn’t think he would appreciate. I pulled the key away from the door and assured myself that tomorrow I could come over unannounced, but doing so today wasn’t the brightest move. After stuffing the key back into my bag, I raised my hand up and let my fist rap on the door. I couldn’t wait to throw my arms around him. I hadn’t seen him for two weeks due to finals, and now, we would never have to be apart again.

I stood still as I waited, but there was no answer. I walked over to the railing and peered out into the parking lot. His car was parked a few spots away from mine, so I knew he was here. I knocked once more and waited again. The element of surprise lurked around me, tempting me, and I pulled out my keys as I walked back to the door and quietly let myself into the silent apartment.

Watching FirefliesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara