Chapter 23 It Begins

Start from the beginning

"Look at me," he ordered, and brought his lips closer to mine, "we don't know what's going to happen from here on out, but we need to focus on the now, not what may happen. We need to gather as much info from your brothers and, I can't believe I'm saying this, and the angel downstairs, then we'll move forward, but you're not responsible, and I'm not losing you."
Tears pushed over my lids and down my cheeks, not because I didn't believe him, but because whatever was coming, whatever I was a part of, was something we'd never handled before. Aliens, gods, robots, we could handle, but this... this was different. We were dealing with the epitome of good and evil, if all this turned out to be real. Angels, demons, all of it, and we weren't prepared, I didn't think we would ever be ready, but holding onto my husband, I made myself a promise.
I wasn't going to lose anyone else, not even my brother's, to whoever or whatever these things were. I had to believe I would get Tony back, but the cost..
"We may not have a choice here love," I sighed, and slipped my lips over his. I let my mouth show him what I felt, how scared and desperate I was feeling, and he soaked it up, as if he too knew this situation wasn't going to be easy to deal with, "I love you, so much..."

"I love you so much, and I hope you and Red are right," she whispered, and detached herself from him. She walked out the door, and left him staring out the window, into the night.
He didn't fear what was coming, because his belief in the people around him granted him that. No, he was afraid of the look in her eyes, as if she knew their situation wasn't going to be handled with just guns and their strength as a team. While he leaned on her loyalty, on some days he chafed against it, because she took it too far sometimes. The way she handled Bruce was a perfect example of her loyalty to Natasha, and if pushed comes to shove, she would knowingly sacrifice herself in order to save Tony, and he couldn't stop her.
The thought should of made him angry, but for them, friends were family, Buck, Nat, Tony, all of them would kill to protect each other, and it's come down to that a few times, but he couldn't lose her. Oh, he would survive it, but nothing would ever be the same for him, and he refused to allow her to put herself in that situation.

"That Dean is like the male version of your wife, it's scary, and fucken weird," Buck announced from the door, "you alright?"
"No," he mustered, and crossed his arms over his chest, "I don't know how this situation's gonna play itself out, but I know my wife, and how much she cares for Tony, for all of us.."
"You're afraid she'll try and trade herself for Tony, or vice versa, that whoever took him, will order the trade," Buck concurred, and leaned against the window, "we don't even know what's going on yet?"
"I know that, but call it a hunch.., God help me, I understand her reasoning when it comes to Tony, but..." Steve stammered, and closed his eyes.
"Then we just need to make sure that doesn't happen, we need information, and we need to know what we're up against. That angel or whatever the hell he is, seems to know what's going on, so like I said, let's start there," Buck grilled, and patted Steve on the back, "we need to dive into this with clear heads, and your worry isn't going to help us. Let's focus on what we have in front of us first, alright?"
"I hear you Buck, but..." he murmured and finally met his oldest friends eyes.
"You don't want to lose her, I understand that Steve, I do, but we don't deal in what ifs, we never have, so let's eat, and start this little reunion," Buck demanded, and lightly punched Steve's arm, "besides, these guys are your brother in-laws, and I think its the funniest fucken thing ever.. Although, if that Dean hits on Red one more time... I don't even care if I am his favorite.."
Steve snorted, but followed Buck to the stairs, holding onto the hope that his team was strong enough to handle whatever was coming, and that his wife would stay...