September/16/1853

September/16/1853

  My children came again today. They brought some of their friends that know me and we all talked about how their lives are. When it was my turn to share I told them about this journal and told my children were I kept it so when I died they could retrieve it. I spent a lot of the day laughing and coughing until the doctor came. He shooed everybody out except for my children. He told me I had about 3 days left including today. I could see the sadness in their eyes a the news but they put on their best smiles and hid the sadness.

  Alright back to the war and no more homelife sadness.

  I woke up a day later and saw all the new soldiers present. There was a lot of blood on the ground I felt bad for taking a bed. Adelaide walked over and made a joke about me being a sleepyhead. I could not laugh because of all the despair around me.

  “How many were injured? Dead? And captured? Where is Alex?” I asked her.

  “13 killed, 44 wounded, and 34 captured or thats what I heard. Alex is fine he will be visiting later.” She sounded calm, I wondered how she did it.

  “I feel fine today. Can you help me stand?” I asked trying to persuade her.

  “I’ll help you.” A male voice called from the entrance. I spun around to see who it was.

  “Alex!” I called. He ran over without trying to step on anyone then hugged me. I had tears in my eyes and felt his tears drip onto my shoulder.

  “Hey buddy, how was the battle?” I asked him. “More like a little fight. I did not shoot my gun at all. The British freaked out and sent us all out there for nothing.” Alex laughed his own joke, a few other guys and I joined in laughing.

  Adelaide brought a thermometer over and we repeated the process of taking my temperature. This time I was normal and Adelaide allowed me to stand with Alex then tried without him and I managed. I was so tired after as soon as I hit the bed I passed out.