September/14/1853

September/14/1853

  I had terrible coughs today.

  They started after my children arrived. We were talking about their favorite childhood memories when I started to cough like a mad man. My son ran to the doctor and when he and the doctor arrived the coughing had gotten worse. The doctor said it was part of the illness and then put more leeches on me. I still do not like him.

  Back to my story. About a month after I had gotten shot, I had been improving. I had managed to sit up, swing my legs over the bed, and I managed to stand with the help of Alex. The nurse named Adelaide, said I would be able to walk with a little more time. Adelaide had long brown hair and green eyes. She was really pretty.

  “How long?” I asked. “Not long now. Probably a week or two.” Was Adelaide’s reply.

  “I want to walk and be useful again. I feel useless here. My wife says she is working hard and I am just sitting here. My children are a handful and she has no help with them.” By then I was crying and Adelaide was trying to calm me down. I could tell she had plenty of experience in this. I started coughing.

  “Wait. Were you coughing?” Adelaide said. I could hear the fear in her voice. “Stay there, I have to take your temperature.” More fear than before. “Oh no.” I thought. She ran off and got a thermometer then came back.

  “Keep this in your mouth for a minute then check what temperature it is at then yell for me. I have another patient to take care of. Do as I say and no less than a minute.” Adelaide ran off and I called Alex over.

  “Alex when I put this in my mouth, time one minute for me. Please?”

  “Sure John. Put it in, now”

  I followed Adelaide's instructions and when I took it out I was at 90.

  “Adelaide!” I cried. “Yes.” She cried from another bed. “90!”

  “Oh no. You got the flu. Here is a pill but there are not very many left. We are short on medicine and staff. This will heal you a little but also put you to sleep. Good night.” Adelaide handed me the some medicine a glass of water then left.

  “Good night!”I called after her. I said night to Alex took the pill and passed out.