Cocktails

I really hope she shows up.

My finger traces the rim of the glass in front of me as I absently stare into the red mix of a drink in it.

I wouldn't blame her if she didn't. I haven't been the best bestie in the world lately. I've been kinda blowing her off for the past few weeks and it wouldn't be surprising if she didn't want to hang out with me because of it. I mean, it is Christmas after all but it isn't like she wouldn't do it.

I stop and pick up the candy cane on the edge, bringing it up to my lips and sucking on it.

What she probably doesn't know is the why. I'm not entirely sure that I know why myself. There's just no way to really explain a lot of the weird things I've been feeling lately. Even though I've had a lot of time to think about it. I mean, the whole Santa thing happened last year and I still don't really know how to deal with it. He told me that I should go after the answers that I want and not be afraid to ask.

But I just can't bring myself to work up the courage to ask. It's been hard, especially with all of the craziness going on with my dad and Archie's trial and going to jail and the weird G&G obsession going around, it's been hard to focus on it all. Not really the best time to blow up our whole lives. But I'm not sure I can put it off any longer.

I look around the speakeasy I own as the Christmas party I threw goes on around me.

Not after that weird girl showed up outside and I got that weird vision. I'm still not exactly sure how that happened but I can't deny that it did, even if I don't understand what it means. That's why I suggested we meet tonight at the party.

I look towards the door but I don't see her so I bring my eyes back to the drink in front of me.

Maybe she saw it to and we can figure it out together. But that only works if she shows up.

"Hey..."

I look up to see her standing there in what I think is the best looking dress I've ever seen her in.

Damn she looks good in that.

She just stares at me with this weird look and I realize I haven't said it back.

"Hey... thanks for coming."

She smiles at me and it gives me this weird feeling.

That's not usually how I feel when she looks at me like that.

"Of course, I'd never miss a chance to see my best friend at her own party."

I am not sure how to feel about that. We're best friends, of course she'd want to come hang with me. But for some reason it bothers me.

I smile before looking to the bar and flagging Reggie from my seat.

"Let me order you a drink. What are you having?"

"What you're having looks pretty good. I'll have that."

Reggie comes up.

"We'll have two more."

"Coming right up."

He heads off back to the bar and I turn my attention to Betty as she sits across from me.

"I'm glad you came."

"I'm glad you called. I haven't heard from you in a while. I was getting worried. How are you holding up since Archie left?"