Chapter 2: Strange And Beautiful

Start from the beginning

She wears a playful smile on her face as she digs into her parfait once again. I let myself chuckle because for one, egocentric Chloe is funny or at least it's what I think it is, and because I find her statement undeniably true.

Just when I start getting comfortable, Chloe leans in, her face just inches to mine. I feel like she wants me to look into her eyes and so that's what I do. I look into those blue orbs and hold my breath.

"You want to know a secret?" she whispers.

"Okay."

I force my eyes to avoid those kissable lips.

She leans her head forward, "I secretly want you... to say something about yourself."

With that, she laughs and leans back to her side of the couch. Finally, I can feel myself breathe again.

"You have no idea what personal space means, do you, Red?"

She sticks her tongue out, and I shake my head.

"Come on, Beca, tell me something about you."

"Why the sudden interest anyway?"

"I'm trying to convince myself that you're not some kind of a criminal."

I roll my eyes and she giggles. I guess I should roll my eyes more often just to hear her giggle.

"I'm not really good at introducing myself, you know. And in case you haven't figured it out yet, Red, I'm a socially awkward person."

"Oh I don't buy that crap."

I chuckle at her remark, and then sigh.

"Plus, I'm nothing interesting. I might just end up disappointing you with boring stuff."

I look down at what is left of my triple chocolate crepe. I don't want to disappoint Chloe. Ever. The thought of it makes me hate myself. I wish I'm as good as Stan. Everybody loves him. I wish I could tell Chloe stories about my non- existing friends, basketball, anything interesting. But I'm not Stan. I never make Phil proud of me. And I fear that I might end up disappointing Chloe just like how I constantly disappoint Phil Mitchell.

The redhead sitting across me in the booth probably noticed the sudden frown on my face because the next thing I hear from her is, "It's okay, Beca. You don't have to."

She smiles at me understandingly and so I figure a 'thank you' would be a nice response. More so, to save us from some awkward moment, Chloe proceeds with the highlights of her first year in Barden. I listen to her, feed her with few reactions, but more than that, I look at her face intently. I look at her face intently because I want to remember the face of the person who makes me feel happy and understood. It's a strange kind of feeling because the walls I built around me have deprived me of those emotions. It's strange that I'm feeling it now. It's strange that of all people, Chloe has done what many people thought would be impossible - to break the Great Beca Mitchell's walls and invade my very soul. But you want to know a secret? Chloe didn't even have to break the walls. I'm simply

letting her in. Just like that.

------

"Beca, you're doing it wrong again."

Aubrey has been bugging me throughout the next Bella rehearsal. Apparently, I'm doing everything wrong.

"Right foot forward then turn," she instructs with actual demonstration. "Then 'confidence' then you proceed with 'the sign'."

I wipe the beads of sweat off my face and place my hands on my hips, "Yeah, that's what I've been doing, Aubrey."

"No, that's what you think you've been doing."