Chapter 1

Stine opened the door, Hannah and Jade behind him.

"This is our new home girls." He Smiled, "Madison Delaware. What do you think girls?"

"It's just a house Dad." Hannah muttered. "Just like the rest." Stine gave her a scolding look. "Sorry."

"I promise this is the last move." Stine assured his teenage daughter. He turned around to place his coat on the rack. "Now what do you two say for dinner?" He turned back to see his daughters gone.

"Jade? Hannah?" He called. Just then the house suddenly went dark. He looked around, as he called once more. But instead of a voice, a squeak came from the hall. Stine followed his heart pumping faster.

A single light flashed on as a small red trike rolled forward.

"No..." Stine muttered as a ventriloquist Dummy, rolled into the light. "Where are my daughters Slappy!?!" Slappy only giggled. "TELL ME!" He cried falling to his knees! "Where's my little girl?" Slappy's giggle grew louder. "Give her back!" He yelled over the wooden demon's mocking laughter.

Lightning flashed and Slappy was gone. A manuscript with a lock left in his place. Stine rushed forward and saw the title, 'The Ghost Next Door.'

He attempted to open it but the lock was melted closed.

"Dad," a voice quietly called from the book, as if miles away. "Please let me out. I'm sorry." He recognized Hannah's voice.

"Hannah, I'm so sorry. I should have told you." He sobbed.

Stine felt his heart pound harder, as the room went black. A light from behind caught his attention. Jade sat tied up in a chair, Slappy sitting in her lap.

"Daddy, Please! I'm scared!" Jade cried.

"That's enough out of you." Slappy snapped as he gagged her with a white clothe.

"Jade!" Stine rushed to his feet to save her, but he only took about four steps before something gelatinous engulfed his legs. The blob that ate everyone, had snuck up on him.

"No!" Stine yelled. Slappy high pitched laugh echoed as he faded away with Jade. "No! NOOOOOOO!"

***

Stine found himself on his couch. The blob, Slappy, it was all a nightmare. He grabbed his glasses from the table and looked around the room. The sun had just started rising.

Taking a deep breath he grabbed the crutch and made his way to the kitchen. He started to brew some coffee. He was still shaking from the dream. Every night, it was the same. Ever since his monsters terrorized Madison.

Most of them escaped to Horrorland with Slappy leading the way, holding Stine's daughter 'Jade' hostage.

Stine looked out the window and saw Zack 'his neighbor' shoveling snow off the driveway. He put on a coat and slipped into a snow-boot. His other foot was in a cast.

"Zack!" He called as he carfully hobbled over to the boy.

"Stine, how is the leg doing?" Zack waved.

"I can't wait to get this cast off tomorrow." Stine muttered. "What are you doing up so early on a Saturday?" He asked. Zack frowned.

"Couldn't sleep." Zack answered, Stine now noticed the small bags under his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he said sympathetically. "I feel very responsible I should have written joke books."

"Oh no, it's not nightmares. it's just I keep thinking about my dad... and." he stopped.

"I miss her too." Stine replied. Putting his hand on Zack's shoulder. Zack smiled sadly. He appreciated having Stine to talk to.

"So while I'm at it, would you like me to shovel your driveway?" He offered.

"Thank you, I sure could use the help. I'll make you some hot chocolate once you're done." Zack gave him a thumbs up as Stine nodded and returned to his house.

He hung up his coat and proceeded down the hall. He froze when saw the mirror. A little girl stood there in a black room. He recognized her wild black hair and aqua-marine eyes.

"Jade?" He gasped. Jade waved sadly from the mirror.