Deer In The Headlights

I let my arm fall to on my side and scoff at the giddy-looking Alex. It takes all my self-control to not just smash his smug face in.

"Best not waste them, yeah?" I say after he just stands there gazing at me weirdly.

He shakes himself, coming out of his thoughts. "Yeah, of course." He rakes his hand through his golden locks casually.

Alex glances around for a moment, then curses and scrambles towards Ray. "We're going to the work room." He says in a whisper.

"No way in hell!" Ray shouts, angrier than common reason would allow. He throws a glare at me, which I return with a grin full of fangs.

"You know, I don't need to give you any time at all. How 'bout I just fucking leave?" I snap after Ray gives me a mocking finger.

"No, please, I'm sorry. Don't mind Ray, he's just mad because that v-neck makes him look queer." Alex says through a grin, trying to hold back his laughter.

Ray frowns, his eyes darting momentarily to his clothes. A smile tugs at my face and I fight to tame it.

What Alex said seems to kick in as Ray glares at him, but says nothing more, his face wearing a confused look. Alex snickers uncontrollably, he tries to control his fit but fails. I chuckle at the sight, his laughter sticking to me. It reminds me of how we used to talk, how he was always clowning around. I loved his sense of humor, his laughter had been one of my favorite things about him.

I quickly shake myself out of my thoughts, plastering on an impatient face. Alex must notice, as he quickly composes himself. He looks down at his side, then at me.

'You've got a wicked arm, Av. Even without the wolf." He chuckles. Rays digs in his bag, then hands Alex something.

"Here, Dex. It'll counter the effects of the silver. Give you abilities equivalent to your little buddy over there." He says. Alex nods at him gratefully, injecting himself with the syringe.

I frown. A vaccine for silver? They truly are strange. What else does Alex have up his sleeve? What's he hiding? It makes me wonder what else they're capable of, what other mysteries are out there and how clueless I must be. What was he hiding back when we were together, when things were different?

"Follow me." He says, turning to leave the room.

I hesitate for a moment. It very well could be a trap. With Ray around, there's no doubt someone'll do something stupid. I just have to stay alert. As much as I hate to admit it, I want to hear what Alex has to say.

I follow him out of the room, glaring at Ray as I pass and remaining wary of the woman.

The hall is filled with old looking portraits and the ceiling is quite high. Alex's warm scent fills my nose. For a moment, I can feel his arms around me. His sweet scent comforts me and I yearn to hold him.

I stop in my tracks, shaking my head. What the fuck? I guess I really am a goddamn animal. I growl at myself.

Ray bumps into me. "What in the hell are you doing, keep walking!" He nudges me.

"Don't touch me, asshole. And don't tell me what to do." I snarl, then continue down the hall at a slow pace. Ray snorts.

Alex stops at brown, bulky door and turns the knob. He holds it open, gesturing for me to enter. I stare at him with distrust, staying put. His shoulders drop and he walks in with a quiet sigh.

I hesitate. Ray follows him, grunting in disgust at me as he passes. I peer in the doorway, scanning the room for any potential hazards. It's a large room, centered with a long, polished table and about a dozen office chairs. It's like a meeting room in a business. Like they're some sort of organization. What do they do here?