Prologue

Ean laughed as his older cousin ruffled his hair. Over the years he had found not only a home and love but a family to call his very own. Though he still had a slight limp as a reminder of his once hard life he always made sure to keep it far from his mind.

“This is so exciting,” Ean said as they neared the overly large estate of the Appleton Widow. She was known as a bitter old woman who also happened to be as rich as one could be. She spent all of her money on terribly over powdered wigs and makeup.

The woman often times looked like a ghost in fancy clothing.

Leo chuckled before climbing up the fences and landing swiftly on the other side. “Come, on,” he mumbled as Ean climbed up, a pain shot up his leg and for a moment he paused, before willing the pain away. He eventually jumped over, landing on his feet with Leo's aid.

Once they were both safely seated on the other side of the fence they glanced at each other before sprinting toward the rose garden. The Appleton estate was known for having one of the best gardens in all of London.

They rolled around in the for a while, basking in the smell. Leo plucked two. Ean slowly made his way around the bushes, running his fingers over red, red roses before stopping, his eyes landing on a single rose, stuck in a corner all by itself. Many of its petals were gone and its stem was slightly bent. It didn’t have nearly as many thorns as the rest of the lot. He reached for it, deciding that it was the only one he wanted.

He plucked it, a soft smile on his face.

“Is that the one you want?” Leo asked as he caught a glimpse of the pitiful looking rose.

Ean nodded, “Yes. It has appeal, I think.”

Leo shrugged, ruffling his hair once more, “Of course. Now, let’s go before we’re caught.”

Ean nodded following Leo, jumping the fence once more. They walked along the path they came finding their waiting carriage and hopping into it. Ean stared absentmindedly at the rose in his hand, twirling it to and fro. There was just something about it, something that made the rose in his hand more beautiful than any other he had ever seen before.

The carriage hit a bump and Ean’s attention was pulled away from the flower in his hands. His eyes landed on the window.

“Stop the carriage!” He screamed.

The carriage came to a halt. Leo raised a questioning brow.

Before Leo could ask what was wrong Ean climbed out. Leo sighed but followed, a natural instinct.

There were four boys, all visibly and audibly mocking someone. One of them pointed and said something and the lot of them laughed.

Ean’s stomach churned. This scene was all too familiar.

“Hey,” Ean snapped as he neared them, his eyes landed on a plump boy. His brown hair was absolutely unruly and hung in his face and covered in dirt as if someone had thrown it on him. His cheeks red from what Ean could only assume was embarrassment.

“What d’you want?” One of the boys asked, a scowl on his face.

Ean bristled, “Leave him alone.”

“Or what? You think you’re a vigilante or something?” Another replied.

“No, but what I do think is that you’re all a bunch of asses who pick on people because you’re weak.”

One of them pushed him. He pushed back. Fists went flying. Leo stepped in.

The frightened boy took several tentative steps back, his eyes wide in shock, watching as they lunged at each other, punches connecting to lips, chins, eyes.

“Stop!” He cried once blood began to spill. “Stop it!”

His terrified voice seemed to pull them out of their daze. The four boys that had been teasing him began to run away, spitting angry words as they went.

Ean stood, wiping at his busted lip. He swiftly turned his attention to the boy, noticed the frightened look on his face and before he could stop himself, he walked toward him. He had somehow managed to still be holding on the rose he had plucked. He reached out and offered it to him.

The boy stared at the flower in slight confusion before his face flushed with color.

He looked at Ean’s hand and then his eyes before accepting it. It was completely mangled, nearly petal less, extremely bent. But still a soft smile spread across the boys’ trembling lips as he gazed down on it.

“Thank you.” He whispered.

Ean merely shrugged. “You shouldn’t let people run all over you. It’s bloody stupid of you to just stand there and take it.”

The boy’s eyes widened but he quickly said his thank yous and watched, eyes filled with admiration as they left.

“I have to admit. I’m bloody proud of you.” Leo said with a grin.

Ean beamed.

“But Trinity...she’s going to kill us both.”

Ean groaned.

*I just couldn't wait, so enjoy!*