Chapter 6: The Tragic Story of Athos and Milady de Winter

Start from the beginning

The young woman didn't say anything as they stood their on the grass as the manor burned down to the ground. Now, she began wondering what Athos would do when he found out of her secret. Would he have her executed too? She could only imagine the utter betrayal Athos would feel when her, another woman important to his life, was also lying of who she was too.

Athos and Cosette said nothing to each other after that. They continued walking through the forest and were finally in Paris when Athos noticed the Spanish gentleman from before.

"Our Spanish friend," Athos said. "Leave him to me."

"No!" Cosette grabbed his horse's reins. "Athos that is a terrible idea."

"I didn't say it was good," Athos said. "If something bad were to happen to you, I won't forgive myself."

Cosette was surprised he was saying something like that. Then again, she did remember that Treville put Athos in charge of keeping an eye on her and that he revealed something he should never had said to her. Athos couldn't admit it but say that he trusted the girl disguised as a boy

"Go home, get some rest, I promise I'll be fine," Athos looked at her sternly. "Promise me you'll go straight home, D'Artagnan."

Cosette looked to consider the order but instead of inquiring anything else, she nodded.

"And d'Artagnan," Cosette stopped and looked at her friend. "Say nothing to the others of what happened."

"You have my word," she promised with a small smile and made her way to the Bonacieux house. Cosette heeded Athos' words and went home. When she saw Constance sitting at the table and noticed she looked troubled.

"You look troubled, Constance, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," Constance lied but Cosette gave her a look that told her 'I know you're hiding something', so Constance sighed.

"There was a woman here while you were away. She said her name was Milady de Winter. She seemed to know you...quite well."

Cosette froze. She never heard of that woman. "Milady de Wi... I don't know any Milady de Winter."

"Dark hair, green eyes," Constance began. Cosette looked at her.

"What did she want?"

"She's offering my husband work."

"That's good."

"She frightened me, Cos," Constance said, calling Cosette by a nickname. She stopped herself from calling Cosette by her father's nickname but the girl really wouldn't care. Cosette wasnt sure how to respond.

TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM

"Bonnaire has more lives than a cat," Cosette sneered. She just COULD NOT believe that Bonnaire was getting away with everything, especially having the Cardinal as a patron. She felt like punching a wall (if she could) She sat down.

"If only those Spanish spies had taken his last one, hm?" said Porthos. "Or I had."

"What did they want with him, anyway?" Armis asked. Athos came down from his report to Treville and revealed what the Spanish spy had told him.

"The Spanish King wrote to Louis demanding he put a stop to Bonnaire's activities," said Athos. "The spies were sent to make sure he didn't escape en route and to shoot him if he did."

"Oh, we should have let them." said Porthos. Cosette nodded .She wish they did. Athos looked at them in confusion, but Aramis explained, "Bonnaire's in business with the cardinal."

"He won't be punished?" Athos asked shocked.

"Rewarded," Cosette answered.

"Well," Aramis said, raising his glass of wine. "Here's to us dying together on some forgotten battlefield while Bonnaire ends his days old and fat and rich."

Cosette sighed as Aramis dumped the cup's content on the floor.

"That man... will go on to destroy thousands of lives..." said Porthos. "And there's not a damn thing we can do to stop him."

TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM TM

The plan really wasn't that difficult. First, Athos had to find the Spanish gentleman again and convinced him to give Bonnaire to Spain if he left quietly. They made it back to le Favre, each rushing into Bonnaire's defense.Athos ordered Cosette to lead Bonnaire to the ship where the Spanish spy would be leading.

She promised that the captain would see Bonnaire's travel and left before he could inquire about the Spanish soldier.

The key to Bonnaire's warehouse,"she heard Athos as she went back. He was talking with Meunier. Cosette sat down, watching the exchange. "Everything in it is rightfully yours. If I were you, I'd move it before the cardinal takes an inventory. No-one must ever know of this. Technically, we're both guilty of treason."

"My lips are sealed," said Meunier. He and Athos shook hands and left with his key.

"So, as far as the cardinal is concerned, the Spanish kidnapped Bonnaire," Athos said.

"And spirited him away," said Aramis.

"Embarrassing," said Porthos. "But there's not much he can do about it."

"Godspeed, Bonnaire," Aramis said, raising his glass. "May your time in a Spanish prison be long and uneventful."

"Let's see him adapt to those circumstances." Porthos said. He and the other Inseperables took their glasses and clanked them together.

The quartet left the inn, ready to make their way back to Paris. Athos and Cosette shared looks with each other but said nothing. What she did not notice was the woman watching her and Athos in the fog.