Long Time Coming

Shawn was uncharted territory, yet territory reserved for you. Your friends were adamant that the two of you get together, but for reasons unknown, the two of you just hadn't. It's not that you weren't into one another, as a matter of fact it was plain to anyone with two eyes that the two of you were interested in one another. But, that didn't mean you guys were jumping each other's bones at any open opportunity you had. Shawn is the epitome of everything you've ever wanted in a man. His killer good looks could have you starstruck within seconds, his gorgeous smile accompanied by his amazing, full head of brown ringlets could have any girl swooning. Pair that with an equally as amazing body, tall and slim yet still thick enough to have you craving him more, especially with the way he dressed that god-like body. It wasn't baggy t-shirts and basketball shorts but rather black jeans and button up shirts rolled up to just below his elbow, showing off some of his few tattoos. To make things even better, he was a complete gentleman. He would always hold doors open for you, make sure you were comfortable in any situation, offer to carry your bag for you or give you his jacket, anything you could name.

It was easy to say that you were in, and you were in deep. However, that was all the more reason to avoid getting into any relationship with him that would blur the lines of friends and lovers. Something about the idea of losing Shawn forever due to a lovers mistake had you wanting to play it safe as his friend, or more as an acquaintance. Yes, you had known Shawn for years now, and yes the sexual tension had only built up over those years, yet neither one of you - whether afraid or uninterested in the other, ever made an effort to really get to really know one another. You knew the basics, he was Canadian, had quite a small family, could play guitar and he was a cop.

You had discovered that last fact on accident once, and ever since that day, you wished you hadn't found out about his profession. Geoff texted you a couple months back, asking you to drop off a letter to Shawn at his work, and of course you said yes. When he had sent you the work address, you made your way directly to it, not realizing the address you had put into your GPS was identical to that of the local police station. But, you pulled up your big girl panties and put on a brave face before walking into that station, head held high only to soon come into contact with Shawn dressed head to toe in his very well fitted, navy blue uniform. He of course was a perfect gentleman, thanking you profusely and even ignoring your growing blush as you began to get a bit flustered. Luckily, you had managed to escape the station alive and promised yourself that you wouldn't get too close to him while he's in uniform again.

You are all situated on different sides of the living room, sitting on couches or on the arm rests of the couch, each one of you with a beer bottle nestled into your palm. It is ironic, you are all at Shawn's house, yet Shawn was yet to get back from work? Everyone had agreed to Shawn's house without asking you for your thoughts on the matter, and before finding out that he'd be hosting, you promised you would go. His house is nice, far nicer than a police officer should be able to afford, yet you don't find yourself witty enough to question it. Somethings are best left unknown, or unquestioned. You are on the end of the loveseat facing the other couch which has many of your close friends piled onto it, all squeezed together even though there is a perfectly good, empty seat directly next to you. But of course, you aren't stupid. You know what all of them are up to, but they'll never admit it.

There's a quiet buzz of music playing Post Malone's greatest hits, small talk accompanying the noise. Geoff and his girlfriend Bella are cuddled into one another across from you, Brian, Teddy, Andrew and Zubin all squished into the couch with the couple. The couple is deep in their own conversation, leaving you and the three other boys to make small talk. It starts out harmless and fun, Zubin mentioning the time Geoff got drunk and tried to jump off the balcony at his house, only to be shut down by the rest of you. Somehow however, the conversation turns to you. Specifically you and your relationship with Shawn.