Panicking

Miles

What. The. Fuck.

This couldn't be happening. My brain seized up, stuttering around the one thought. A sharp pain in my hand should have made me unclench my fist but I couldn't move. My stomach clenched as I read the shaking paper for the third time. Oh god. I was gonna be sick.

I ran for the bathroom just off the main hall, the horrific paper fluttering to the floor next to me as I hit my knees and expelled my breakfast. How did this happen? It couldn't be right. Surely, it was a prank of some kind. It had to be. But what if it wasn't? Oh fuck.

I heaved again, losing a bit more breakfast as sweat broke out on my forehead. A hand brushed the limp strands of dirty blonde hair out of my face.

"Miles?" Dad Sean. Shit. Did he see the paper? My stomach cramped again and I heaved but there was nothing left to expell. "That doesn't look good." Sinking back on my knees, my fingers found the paper again. I crumbled it as the faucet ran, shoving it into my pocket just before Dad Sean turned with a damp washrag in hand.

He ran it over my face. I wanted to protest that I was too old for him to be doing that but my body felt drained and limp and my mind was still seized in panic. He tossed the rag back into the sink, then reached down to help me stand. "Come on, kiddo." Dad Sean kept an arm around me as he rinsed the rag before tossing it into the small hamper. He filled one of the tiny disposable cups with water and handed it to me. "Rinse."

Still on autopilot, I obeyed and didn't resist when he steered me out of the bathroom and down the hall. "Let's get you checked out in my office." Dad Sean's office looked a lot like a standard doctor's office, just a shit ton nicer. With so many of us, I guess our parents thought it a good idea to have the whole setup in the house. It certainly proved useful over the years.

I took a seat in one of the chairs, my hand straying to my pocket as I followed familiar instructions. It had to be a joke. Avery, or Angelo or Blaze. Someone. Someone wrote it and sent it to get a rise out of me, That's the only explanation.

"Hey, come back kiddo." The gentle shake jolted me out of my thoughts and I looked up. "There you are." Dad Sean grinned. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I'm gonna puke again." Every time I thought about the paper, my stomach clenched. 

"Well, you aren't running a fever, your heart rate and pulse are fine. " Dad Sean shook his head. I couldn't tell him why I'd thrown up. I couldn't tell anyone. God, I just wanted to forget it all. "I think maybe you should take it easy for the next twenty-four hours. If this is the start of something, maybe we can head it off." 

I nodded and rose, anxious to be away and get rid of the damn paper burning a hole in my pocket and my psyche. A hand closed around my wrist after only a couple steps though. 

"Are you sure everything's okay? You know you can talk to me." 

He knew something was up. He knew I wasn't telling him. And he knew that I knew. None of that stopped my response. "Yeah, fine. Just a funky tummy." 

He nodded and released my wrist. "My door's always open."  

His way of telling me he'd be there when I was ready to talk but I didn't think I would ever be ready. I dashed out of there, sweat still running down my brow. I yanked the paper out of my pocket, uncrumpling it and staring at the words. They swam in front of my eyes, blurring until they were just black lines. I didn't need to read them though. I memorized them after the first read through. 

CONGRATULATIONS MR. COLEMAN!

After reviewing your video "What is this sickness?", we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected to audition for one of the twelve slots in our upcoming contest. As you are aware, we are offering only one scholarship to Star Camp as the grand prize at the end of the contest. Enclosed are the forms required to participate. Please ensure they are signed by a parent or legal guardian and bring them with you to your audition. The forms also list your audition date, time and the location. Please do not disclose the location as the contest is not open to the public as of yet. Only two people may accompany you to the audition. We look forward to your audition, Mr. Coleman. Welcome to the contest.