Chapter Two - Keep Your Head Up

Chapter 2 – Keep Your Head Up

I walked down my dirt road, making my way towards Lily-Mae’s with an overwhelming sense of betrayal and dread. I didn’t understand why they’d all just abandon me because of this.

I get it, I’m different, but they don’t even really know what happened.

I don’t even really know what happened.

I approached the sweet little diner, sitting on the street corner rocking its gorgeous light blue and white floral theme.

I approached the glass door, and time seemed to slow as the little bell chimed upon my entry. It was ringing mockingly as everyone turned and stared at me, even the humans.

Slowly, some of the wolves got up and left the diner, leaving a wide berth around me as if I was a walking disease.

I slowly made my way to the back, and just as I was about to open the door to head into the staff area, Lillian, my boss, walked out.

She stopped in front of me, looking bored, and said “You can’t work here anymore.”

“What?” I asked, shocked and confused. I needed this job.

“Your… condition, it’s already losing us business. Our customers don’t want you here, so you’ve got to go,” she said simply, twirling a lock of strawberry blonde hair around a perfectly manicured finger.

“No, you don’t understand Lillian! I need this job! I could work in the back where no-one sees me or –“

“You’re FIRED. Your stuff is in the back, clear it out and leave,” Lillian cut me off, before turning and flipping her hair over her shoulder before strutting over to the counter and talking to the girl working there.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, roughing it up a bit, before walking through the staff only doors and heading over to my locker. I couldn’t believe this.

I was already months overdue with my rent, I had to pay up soon, very soon, if I even wanted to have a place to live!

This was unbelievable! All because my wolf was blind? I’M not blind, I can SEE the way they look me.

I shivered in disgust at how awful these people are being to me – especially my pack!

These were the wolves that the day before had been messing around with me and wishing me luck for my first shift!

Sure, none of them really knew me, but we still had fun. I thought they cared.

I guess not.

After collecting my things, just my work uniform - which I returned - and a few odd trinkets, I went out in search of a new job.

It didn’t go well.

Everywhere I went, I got glares and looks of disgust. If I walked up to a shop, half would send me away, others would actually pretend to be closed! What the HELL!?!

I shook my head, defeated, as I trudged back down the dirt road to my little house. A strong wind was starting up, and the old wood panelling on my housing was rattling and groaning in the wind.

I swung open the door and shut it behind me, small gusts of wind ruffling my hair as they came through the holes in the walls.

I collapsed on the ground in the middle of the main room in my two room house, putting my head in my hands as the tears I’d been holding in all day slowly fell to the ground in a slowly shattering kaleidoscope of broken tears.

Why me?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I woke to a frosty wind biting my bare skin. It was probably around 5am.... and it was a Monday.

I yawned and stretched my arms up towards the sky, sighing quietly as I stood up from the thin mattress.

I pulled on the clothes I would be wearing today, a simple shirt, hoodie and tracksuit pants, before I went into the other room to find myself some breakfast.

I searched through my cupboards with little luck, before finding a few slices of bread in the last cupboard.

I frowned to myself as I ate my slices of bread, crusty and dry from air exposure.

In a way, bread was sort of like people.

If they were exposed to too much reality, they would begin to die.

I wish I could’ve stayed locked away under my parents’ protective wing forever, living with guidance and someone to be proud of you when you do something right.

I sat on my floor long after I had finished my bread, before glancing outside and noticing beams of sunlight filming through the cracks in the walls.

Time to head to school.

Not for the first time, I contemplated even attending a school.

However, I needed to at least try for a future – my parents would’ve wanted at least that much.

Besides, I’d already been warned my low attendance rate was close to getting me expelled, and at least at this school I understood how everyone would act.

Not after last Friday night though.

Not after my shift.

It’ll be ok Skye. You’re a werewolf, you’re stronger than this. Don’t let them get you down.

I smiled as Hali encouraged me, before grabbing my satchel and heading out of the old wooden door.

I swung it shut behind me and pulled out the rusted metal key, locking it, before turning and walking down the dirt road again, watching as the trees’ leaves left dancing shadows from the morning sun.

I slowly made my way into the town, navigating the streets based on instinct, from years of doing the same walk.

As I turned the first corner, with the school still on the other side of town, I heard everyone at school. The cars pulling up, the students’ chatter. It was so loud!

My hands flew up to my ears as I was bombarded with the sounds around me, my nose suddenly picking up every scent within a one kilometre radius.

Wha-?

It’s my senses Skye, being blind basically amplifies your other senses tenfold remember? I’ve been trying to hold it back because I knew you needed to sleep, but I’m not very good at controlling them yet!

Hali informed me.

I tried to tune out the sounds and smells to a bearable level, and I got there after a few minutes of concentration. I could hear and smell better than before if I could hold it at this level, but if I let it go I’d get assaulted again. I was sure of it.

I shook my head before continuing down the roads through the town, walking over a hill as the school slowly came into sight.