Chapter 16

“Happy birthday Soph”. Henry said as he gave her his rose.

“Thanks Henry”. She said then smiled at him. “Thank you for coming tonight. Though I didn’t expect you to be here.”

“Liar. Of course you did, because if you did not, then you should’ve removed us from the guest list.” He said then laughed.

Trust Henry to be frank about things. Among all her friends, he is the most frank one. He says what is on his mind as long as he knows that it is true, he doesn’t really care whether you’d be hurt or not, since he stands by the thought that “the truth really hurts, so you have no other choice but to accept it.” However, he somehow made and exception when he is talking to her. She can see that most of the times, he tries so hard to stop himself from saying how stupid she is. Somehow, Henry was able to learn how to sugarcoat the things that he wants to say to her, a thing that she thought was impossible before. But right now, it is obvious that he is back to that old Henry again, which is both a good and a bad thing for her.

“Well, I was just hoping….. “ She whispered shy that she was caught.

“It’s alright Soph, you don’t have to be shy. But actually, we really thought you don’t want us to come.”

“Henry …” She trailed, not really knowing what to say. She wanted to explain, but she doesn’t really know how to start, plus, she doesn’t really know what to say. She also can’t explain these things to herself.

“It’s alright Soph. You don’t have to explain.” He said, as if he can read her mind. “We were just giving you time. We all know you need it. Unlike what you said, we completely understand what you were going through, and it is also painful for us to see you that miserable.”

“I know.” She said sadly, she can already feel the tears that are starting to form in her eyes. “That’s why I asked all of you to stay away, because I don’t want you to see me miserable.”

“You should know that that is ridiculous right?”

“Yeah. But I guess I learned it the hard way.” She said and they both laughed. “Anyway, why didn’t you answer any of my calls or texts? I thought you guys really has given up on me.”

“Well, I guess we just decided to teach you some lesson.”

“Really? So what kind of lesson? Are you really planning of going here or ditching the party was part of the ‘lesson-teaching’ plan of yours?”

“Well, about that. . . “ Henry trailed an smiled, just as the host started speaking again.

“And now, for the 17th rose, let us call one of Sophie’s best friends. Mr. Martin Torres.”

Martin walked towards where Sophie and Henry was. Henry gave way for Martin and he immediately took Sophie’s hand and gave her his rose.

“Happy birthday beautiful.” He said then winked. Sophie laughed at her friend’s gesture.

Among her four best friends, Martin really is the flirt one. In other words, or for lack of a better term, the Casanova type. He dates all sorts of girls and doesn’t last being in a relationship for more than three months. He is not that type of guy who commits himself easily, he is a flirt but he is hard to please, and you really have to work hard for you to earn his trust. She is just so glad that she is one of those people that was able to earn it. Other people might mistake him as a bad and mean person but he really is not. He has reasons for doing the things that he did that only the people close to him knows.

“Thank you so much handsome. I am so flattered to receive a compliment from ‘The’ Martin Torres.” She replied with the same flirtatious tone that made both of them laugh.