Chapter 2

She woke up crying, her hair and pillow wet with tears, and her heart in an unexplainable pain. It is still crystal clear in her memories. The day that is supposed to be a normal one, but it turns out, destiny has other plans, and it becomes the day that changed her whole life.

It is a usual sunny Saturday morning. Sophie just finished doing the laundry with her father and she is helpin g her mother cook for their lunch. Typical Saturday morning for their family. After this, all of her school works are already in line waiting for her. It was at that time that a BMW M3  parked in front of their house. Then, a woman, about 5’7 tall, maybe in her mid-30s, with a fair complexion, wearing a blue casual dress, wearing sunglasses and a black pumps came out of the car. Sophie thought she really looked familiar, it seems like she have seen this woman already, but she doesn’t know when and where and how. She just shrugged the thought away, since there is no way she can know this woman.

The next events  happened so fast, most of the details she cannot remember anymore because of the sudden rush of emotions that flooded through her.

With all those informations that was given to her, she was able to grasp just a few of them. She was able to process that she was an adopted child. This woman, whose name is Terry, left her month old baby with her friend, who turns out to be her mother, because her parents doesn’t know that she was pregnant and that if they learn about it, they might do something to the baby. She has to prove herself first to her parents first before she can introduce the baby’s father and the baby. She then promised this friend that she will come back for the baby. It took her and the baby’s father several years before they were able to prove themselves to her parents, that’s why, they are only coming back now. She then promised to give Sophie a better life than the life that she is living right now. She promised to give all of her wants, and she will never experience shortage. She then told her, that now, she will live the life of her dreams, the life that has always been for her.

Well, for her, that doesn’t change the fact that they abandoned her, left her to some stranger without even knowing what kind of life she is going to live. It is such a good thing that the parents that adopted her loved her and treated her like their own, because she doesn’t know how she is going to face this woman right now if they didn’t.

Everything is sinking in her brain slowly, but still, it is too much to take in. So, she excused herself and went to her room. The moment that she was sure that she is alone, she got her phone and immediately looked for his number. She needs someone to talk to right now, someone who would understand, and someone who would listen without judging. She checked the clock first, its 12 noon here, so it means it’s 12am in Washington. She knows he is sleeping right now, but she didn’t ming, she knows he will understand.

It took her a couple of rings before he answered the phone. And, what happened next crushed her heart.

The memory was still very painful to her. To learn that you are adopted, and that the parents that raised you and have loved you all your life are not your real family, to learn that your real family abandoned you for such petty reasons of proving themselves. It hurts a lot.

But since, her birth parents promised her that they will let her adoptive family live in comfort if ever she will come with them, then she did went with them. All of the things that she is doing and she will do in the future will always be for the welfare of her family.

It could have been a win-win scenario. She would have tolerated all of it, if not for the fact that her birth parents decided to publicize the fact that they have found their lost daughter. Of course, when the media learned about it, several articles about her came out on different magazines and newspapers, making her feel like she is being watched all the time. Articles written by people who barely know her but talks about her as if they were the best of friends. She hated it. She hated being the center of attention. During these difficult times were the times that she is still with him. He is that one and only person who can make her pain less painful. He is one of those few people who can really comfort her. But yeah, he already left her. What is the point of thinking about it? It’s not going to make any difference anyway.