The Incident

When I got out of the hospital I went straight to their place. There was a faint smell of smoke lingering in the air. They were all sitting at the table, food on some plates, and a girl sitting there as well.

It was the same girl as before, the one we saw get pushed into the pool. Twelve mentioned something about her going to bed because she was still getting over the flu. She did.

"Think about it, even the crumbiest food is worth something," Twelve said to Nine. "It's better than the food we ate at the institution. You remember? It was just a task, another job to be completed"

"It's almost time," Nine said, not mentioning anything he was talking about before.

They made their video with the riddle and uploaded it to the computer. I sat down on the couch, staring down at my hands.

"We put a bomb on a train, disguised it as a fire extinguisher," Nine explained, knowing I wanted to know what they had done most recently. "You were in the hospital so it wasn't even an option for you"

"I understand. But being in that bed made me realize that I'm needed not even in the background, because if I'm in the background I'll get caught as well"

Nine nodded. "Correct. It took you some time to figure that out"

"I already knew it, I was just thinking of the negative side of it. I didn't understand how I was actually needed, how important it is for me to be hidden"

Twelve came over and sat down beside me, fiddling with his phone. Lisa was still asleep, we hadn't heard a peep from her yet.

"Hey, Nine. You think that riddle we gave them was a little too easy?" Twelve asks.

"It would be problematic if it was too hard for them to solve," Nine answered.

"I knew you made it easy on purpose"

"Yeah. This Detective Shibazaki should've figured out the connection between all of the bombing locations by now. Since we never make any demands, he's the mind that would look for a connection to figure out what we're after"

"You sure have put a lot of trust into a government official"

"What?"

"Haha, nothin'. It was a joke"

Nine didn't look very happy with the joke, but he didn't say anything. I went over to him, standing beside where he sat, to look at the profile he had up on his computer. It was for Shibazaki, the detective.

He had supposedly been an ace detective, solving crimes at an unusual young age for a detective. He had retired, but they brought him back for this case specifically.

After a while we checked the news, seeing what people were saying about a bomb being defused on the train.

"Anything?" Nine asked.

"Whole lotta notta," Twelve replied.

"That's strange. There's been no report about the bomb being removed"

"Maybe the riddle was still too hard for them"

"I don't think so, that detective's smart. He would've figured it out"

"Or they wanted to keep it low key. They don't want us to know they solved it and stopped the bomb already," I suggest.

"Possibly, but I'm not sure. So what do we do? In a little over an hour we'll be mass murderers," Twelve said.

"Not to worry, this will be activated," Nine said, showing us his phone.

"Huh?" We both asked.

"What's wrong?"

We both looked at our phone and noticed that there was no signal. It went out on every other phone they had.

"Every carrier, same issue, same time. That's impossible," Twelve said.

"Oh, it's possible. Someone created the interference on purpose," Nine said.

"Like who? Nine?"

He didn't answer. Twelve left on his bike, going to find where the train they planted the bomb in was. We had to stop the bomb from exploding because it'd destroy the whole train and everyone on it. Nine was navigating him to the train.

But someone hacked into his computer, stopping him. Then he clutched his head in pain and his face looked terrified. I knelt down beside him, putting a hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down.

"Nine? Nine!"

I grabbed the computer and tossed it to the side, grabbing another laptop for him to work on. He seemed to have snapped out of it and continued working.

He stood up abruptly, finding the train, knocking his stool over. Then he raced out the door after grabbing a bag and a hat, almost knocking over Lisa.

"He'll be back," I tell her. "It's just urgent right now"

I ran out as well, chasing after Nine. I almost lost him but found him jumping down the stairs of the train station. He threw a smoke bomb towards the train, then yelled about there being a bomb on the train.

Everyone got off, but I watched him run onto the train, not making it off before it exploded. I gasped and ran down, running through the small flames to find him. Others tried to keep me from going in but they couldn't stop me.

"Nine," I whispered, finding him hunched in the corner, his glasses knocked off his face.

I picked up the radio beside him, knowing Twelve was on the other end, and told him Nine was alright. I helped him move a woman off the train, she was the reason he had to go back on, to save her.

"Look at you being careless again," I sigh, hugging Nine once he set the unconscious woman down, being careful of the wounds he got on his back.

"I'm still alive," he said when I let go of him.

Every single phone in the train station started ringing at the exact same time. I looked at my phone to see a text from an unknown person, it said "I found you ^^".

"There's no doubt," Nine said, either to himself or Twelve, because I know he wasn't talking to me. "Five is back"

My mouth dropped open, my eyes widening. I spoke weakly. "My sister?"