Chapter Nine

Amy couldn't take her, and she knew Jack would tell her to listen to her parents, but Lisa might cave; she was Katie's god mother and had to missing her too. Georgie hurried up to the house, Jack was still in the barn and she wanted an answer before he came in; Katie had her transplant tomorrow. Lou and Peter wanted her to wait until after Katie began to recover to visit, she was in isolation and her visitors were limited; but Katie kept asking why Georgie didn't come.

"Can you take me to see Katie today? Its my day off work." Lisa was shifting through a pack of papers as Georgie sidled up.

"No, honey, you have school." Lisa barely glanced up and missed the annoyance that flashed across her face.

"We could go right after." Not the plan she was hoping for, but maybe a compromise would be a win.

"Georgie, I can't take you today. I have something on." The tone was final, and this time Lisa did look up at her. "I'm sorry, I know you miss your sister."

Before she could try another angle, Lisa might be able to convince Jack she needed to go, the screen door slammed, and Jack stepped in. "Lis, we need to go."

So much for that idea Georgie thought as Lisa held up a hand, rummaging in her purse again as Amy stepped in; Lyndy in her arms. Both Jack and Lisa started to shake their heads before Amy even said a word.

"I don't need a babysitter." Amy sighed. "But I do need a ride, Ty is stuck at a foaling and Lyndy has a check up this morning; it won't take long."

"Lisa's is warm already." Jack told Amy as he reached for another key ring. "We'll take mine, but Lis now."

"I'm coming." Lisa nodded, and Jack held the door for everyone; leaving Georgie alone in the kitchen.

With every vehicle claimed she frowned, if she hurried she could catch her bus, but with everyone heading out no one was going to notice if she didn't. Her parents would certainly inform them, but they'd understand; Georgie fished her phone out of her pocket.

It was a decent day, if it hadn't been Jack suspected they would have been late. On the drive up Lisa fidgeted uneasily and fussed with her paperwork, her mind caught on what was going to happen today. He brought up the topic of informing the family again, it was a thought that would keep her busy and after today Lisa had said she wanted to do it. He knew Lou and Peter wouldn't want to come home before they had some idea of the out come, they would be waiting anxiously enough for it too.

"Do we need to invite Tim?" Lisa asked, they agreed that Amy and Ty should be there; this was a family discussion.

"He'll invite himself." Wanted or not Tim Fleming rarely missed an opportunity for free food; but if Tim didn't show up he would find out soon enough.

"Why don't you go talk to Lou while I'm in? Figure out a day that works, we should make sure it is after their last visit with Katie for the night; even if it is late and you hate waiting." He might have believed Lisa was as calm as she sounded if he didn't know her.

"I will." He promised, but he would be back in that waiting room before she was out.

He felt like something of an intruder as the nurse showed Lisa where to get changed and into a small room to wait. She sat next to him fidgeting with her gown until the woman returned, checking her vitals, attaching a line to her IV and a machine to monitor her heart