Truth

"Truth."

Cassie Flores took another shot of tequila as seven pairs of eyes zeroed in on her. She took her time licking her lips, making a show out of sucking the lemon and placing it back in the glass with a flourish.

She resented the attention. Santino's eyes were laughing, of course. Her buddy—the boy wonder, the life of the party, everyone's friend. Because of him, she didn't trust anyone's eyes anymore.

She reached over and stole someone else's shot glass.

"Come on, Cassie. You've known him forever. What dark secret is he keeping from the world?"

She didn't have the answer, so how could she possibly know the question? She took a moment before downing the shot, just to be sure she wouldn't choke on Don Julio.

"You're supposed to sip that." His lazy grin did nothing to calm the anger simmering in her blood. The burn in her throat couldn't begin to match the burn in her heart.

Nine years in the friendzone could do that to a person.

She leaned forward, needing to wipe that smile off his face. "What's your favourite position?"

It was the wrong question. She could barely hear the hollering and the giggling as she watched his eyes change, turn dangerous. Dangerous to have them focused so directly at her. She was still trying to recover from the last time.

Santino smirked as he extended his arms outward before resting them behind his head. He leaned back and stretched his legs in front of him. "Reverse cowgirl."

The guys whooped and smirked and gave each other high-fives. One of the girlfriends rolled her eyes, laughing. "Tino, you lazy asshole."

No one noticed that his eyes were still on her. "In front of a mirror so she can watch herself."

She dropped her gaze. It stung that he still had the power to hurt her without even trying.

He spun the bottle, and she was free again. Until suddenly it was pointing at her.