02|Opened Eyes

"Behind every glorious facade, there is always hidden something ugly." -Stanislaw Lem

The next morning, Isaac found himself groggily shuffling along the hallway; his eyes trained on the back of his younger brother's head

The next morning, Isaac found himself groggily shuffling along the hallway; his eyes trained on the back of his younger brother's head. "Man, if you hadn't woken me up, ma would've killed me."

Nate peeked over his shoulder and shook his head, deciding to stay silent. Isaac cursed under his breath at his failed attempt of small talk- he never found himself struggling to hold a conversation before-Nate was new territory.

No matter how many jokes, puns and pranks he had attempted throughout the last few months, Nate hadn't budged. His walls were still securely intact and Isaac was determined to crack them.

He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and jogged to catch up with Nate's long strides. They both fell into sync as they entered the kitchen, their attention falling upon their bustling mother. Cindy Hartley was busily preparing breakfast, clad in her nurse scrubs while she chatted with her youngest child-Arianna.

"Morning ma! Hey Anna," Isaac chirped. He bounced his way into the kitchen, not allowing his mother to steady herself before he threw his hands around her.

"Morning Zacky," Cindy cooed as she outstretched her hand to pinch his cheeks. Isaac rolled his eyes and groaned at the sound of her nickname for him. "Ma, you know I hate that nickname."

He heard snickering emitting from the dining table behind him and peered over his shoulder to glare at the culprit. Both Arianna and Nate were looking on intently at the embarrassing exchange; Arianna with a toothless grin while Nate supplied a timid smile.

That's the most he's smiled at me in a month,  Isaac thought bitterly.

Cindy turned towards her other two guilty children, a hand upon her hip as the other firmly clutched onto a pot spoon. "I'm sorry I wasn't home last night to ask about your first day, Nate."

Isaac noticed Nate's stealthily swiping of one of Arianna's bacon strips and coughed to cover up the snicker that threatened to escape.

Maybe we aren't that different.

After subtly eating the stolen strip of bacon, Nate flipped his blonde curls out his eyes and regarded Cindy with the same timid smile. "It was okay I guess."

Cindy caught Isaac's gaze from over the top of little Arianna's head and he shrugged. He felt sorry for her honestly, out of three Hartleys, Cindy tried the hardest to make sure Nate felt welcome. In his own ways, the young boy did show his gratitude, but he was still yet to entirely warm up to the family.

"Don't worry ma, I'm taking good care of him," He said, sending a cheeky wink in her direction.

Cindy rolled her eyes and turned her back to them, attending to the stove
once again. "Please don't influence Nate in your little pranks sweetie."