He punches me in the face, snapping my neck back. That's going to be a nice bruise.

"Why not?" he sneers. "You're not a good queen. And Maxon isn't a good king. We need to take down the monarchy."

Then he realizes that Lucy is still in the house, cowering in a corner. 

"Get out," the guy in front of me says. "Now."

"No!" Lucy exclaims.

"Lucy, go. Now." I twist my head to meet her eyes. "Please, go."

Lucy nods and races to the door. She doesn't use the tunnel. Thank goodness. That would lead these rebels right to the palace.

"Now that she's gone, we can tell you what we're all about," the rebel says. "I'm Jay, and these are my three backups. Mark, Liam and Eric."

I don't say anything.

Jay punches me again. "Why don't you say hi?"

"Hello," I say, frowning.

"Great. Take the king's gag off, Eric," Jay says.

Eric moves over to Maxon and I lose sight of him.

I hear Maxon's cry and I brace myself. I can't lose it. We have to find out what these people want.

"Okay," Jay says. "Well, we're called E.T.M, or End The Monarchy."

I nod.

"And as you know, the monarchy is ruining the country. It needs to be taken down."

"What will happen if you do take down the monarchy? The country will fall apart. You won't be able to put it back together," I interject. "That will ruin the country."

"You took away the castes and the country didn't crash," he says.

"Because the monarchy took them away! Without the monarchy, you can't do anything!" I argue.

Maxon is unusually silent. I wonder what he's planning.

Jay says, "Well, whatever you think, you're wrong. And we know that. Don't we, guys?"

The other men grunt in reply. 

Jay pulls out a knife. "So, you're going down. Don't worry. We'll take care of the country for you."

I let out a strangled cry as he brings the knife to my chest.

I feel Maxon start struggling.

"Maxon, stop," I whisper. "I love you. I love you, my dear."

I start crying.

"Aw, so sweet," Jay sneers. "Now you die."

He brings up the knife and starts to bring it down until the door breaks down and guards come rushing in. A horrible thought comes to mind: 

Aspen isn't one of them.

Jay is shot, along with the rest of the rebels. Someone cuts the ropes around me. I break free, and meet up with Maxon. I kiss him, hard. He kisses me back. I start sobbing onto his chest.

"It's all right, America. It'll be all right. I'm sure of it," he murmurs.

"Queen America, King Maxon! We need to leave immediately," a guard yells.

Still close together, Maxon, the guards and I run down the tunnel into the palace.

-

The Report went well. We were comforted by everyone in the palace and explained how the rebels of E.T.M are trying to taking down the monarchy. I'm sure it's nothing more than the Northern or Southern rebel attacks. 

After The Report, we go and visit our children. Anne and Mary hug us and tell us how happy they are to see us. And our children are safe. I pick up Amberly and hug her tight. Maxon pick up Gerad. I can see the similarity of the two. He definitely took after his father.

Maxon has told me a couple times that he's worried about becoming his father. But I'm sure he won't. He's already the most wonderful father. Thoughts like that make me remember how amazing my father was. Maxon is just like him. Caring and wonderful.

Once we've put both children to bed, we race to our room. I change into a nightgown and Maxon changes into casual clothes.

I need a distraction. And Maxon knows that. He starts kissing me as we get into bed. I try to push the horrible sight of Aspen crumpling to the ground and Lucy's pained screams out of my head. Maxon senses my distress and says, "Do you need to talk about it?"

I nod. "Maxon, it's all my fault. I led him outside. It's my fault he's dead. All my fault."

"No, honey, it's not. It's the rebels. Not you. I know you cared about him. I'm so sorry, America. I'm so sorry," he whispers.

"Don't be sorry. He was about to tell me something. Promise you won't tell Lucy?"

"I promise."

"He said that he loved Lucy, that she was a great girl. But he regretted letting me go... that I made him feel..."

"Made him feel what?" he asks.

I swallow.

"He never got to tell me."

-

Thank you to @omqduckling for being an active reader and for the idea that made up some of this chapter!

Every day I get more excited about the new Selection books! Ahh!!

-Eve