31

PoV: Sonic

  Shadow was asleep and snoring. I climbed down and to the mirror. Am I supposed to move like them?

  I looked at myself, it looked like I could. I lifted myself up, but I didn't jump like I normally did, I kept my feet on the ground.

  I felt wobbly... not weak, but imbalanced. I held onto the table, that was all I could do. I tried standing up straighter, like they did. I stumbled and tripped. I took a step and fell.

"Woah!" Shadow caught me, "What are you doing up so late?" He asked.

  I wanted to walk like you.

  I felt him hold me. I pulled away, but I felt something that made me hold him back.

PoV: Shadow

  He was standing, trying to walk... I was asleep and missing it. I hugged him, it was the most progress he had made. He showed no signs of wanting to stand before, still... I was grateful for it.

"You're standing," I smiled as he stumbled forwards a bit, "does it feel nice to stretch your legs?"

  He looked down at his legs and just smiled. I helped him gain his balance. His knees weren't shaking from his weight, but he slipped from not remembering where to put his feet. His muscles were strong, but not used to this moment after so long. He fell and kept going until the sun was in our faces.

---

"You've been practicing all night," I scratched his ear and he purred as he napped on his bed, "You did well."

"There you are. You guys never came down for food," Tails came in quietly, "Is Sonic still sleeping?"

"He just went down for his nap," I answered.

"This early? What was he doing all night?" He asked.

"Walking," I covered Sonic in his blanket.

"Seriously!?" Tails covered his own mouth and Sonic only shifted.

"Yeah, though he may be sore tomorrow from tripping so much. I caught him as often as I could, but he hit his knee on the chair pretty hard."

"I can't wait to tell the others," Tails started getting up.

"Not yet," I stopped him, "They'll swarm him if they know. Let's wait until he can at least stand."

"Alright."

"I think this the most progress he's ever made."

"Until he starts talking again."

"Yeah, until then."

---

  Sonic was up and rolling around in the grass. He wasn't trying to walk anymore, he was too focused on attempting to rip his gecko in two.

"Hello," Rouge came out back, "what are we watching? Aww, he's playing."

"I think he's trying to kill it," I heard Sonic whimper to my response, "Sorry, we won't kill the gecko. He's all yours."

"He's reacting now. That's good," she held out a piece of jerky. Sonic took it and started fighting with the meat instead, "Oh wow, he's even gripping it in his hand."

"He's getting better, though he's not talking yet."

"Still, he's healing. One day he might be able to fight again."

"He's not fighting anyone," I stated.

"So you're going to protect him and fight Eggman? Who do you trust enough to watch him while you fight?"

"I'll watch him and fight. Eggman hasn't attacked in months, I know I don't have to worry for a while longer. I'll find a way, I promise that."

"You better be prepared then. G.U.N can't handle Eggman alone forever. Their all wimps without you to do all the hard work."

"I knew that before the made me work."

  She left and it was just Sonic and I in the yard.

"Ha," I heard Sonic make another noise. He was looking at me as he laid on his back, "mmhm."

"You're humming now?" I laid next to him. I thought of an idea, "Sonic," his ear twitched, "go ah."

"Mm. Ah," he was imitating me, maybe I can get him to talk this way?

"Oo," I just messed around with a few sounds for him to make.

"Ouo," he exaggerated the sounds a little.

"Nn."

"Nn~"

  I did this with him for a while. I decided to try a word.

"Eat," I said.

"Ee,  he made the 'e' sound instead.

"It's Eat Sonic," I corrected him.

"Ee-ah," he mixed the 'e' and 'a' sounds, but he still wasn't talking.

"Still not talking," I rested on my arm.

"Mm," he was humming again.

"One day. At least your sounds are as cute as ever."

  He's healing more every day. I'll just keep him safe for as long as I can.

"La~ah," he tilted his head why laying on his back.

"You're adorable."

~~~