Chapter VII

Orbiting the planet Ilum was the Vindicator. Commander Cravern was overseeing operations on the ship's bridge. On Ilum's surface, Republic soldiers were prepping the planetary base for battle, in case the Shadow's Hand found them. Anti-aircraft turrets, Republic walkers, and hundreds of soldiers filled the base. To the northeast of the base was a seemingly abandoned Jedi enclave. But on the inside, the enclave was very much alive. Five Jedi Knights were at the enclave, assessing the situation.

Master Vysalia, a green-skinned Mirialan, was in command. Her Padawan, Trayko, stood at her side. Trayko was a male human. With them were Jedi Knights Azaran, Ezrani, and Adyrin, all women. Adyrin was human, Azaran was a feline-like Cathar with light brown fur, and Ezrani was mostly human. Her species was called Miraluka; naturally Force-sensitive humans born without eyesight. Miraluka relied on the Force to sense their surroundings. Ezrani had her eyes completely covered with a brown piece of cloth.

Master Vysalia was observing a holoterminal that was emitting an image of the Republic base.

"We still haven't heard from Master Sykon's Padawan," she said to the others. "I fear Tylin may have been lost during the Hand's assault on Shola."

"I know Tylin," said Adyrin. "We trained together in the Temple for a long time, until I passed the Trials. I doubt he's been killed."

"I hope you're right," commented Ezrani. "We will need all the help we can get to defeat the Hand."

"Trust in the Force, my friends," said Azaran. "We will stop Darth Savek and his followers."

Suddenly, a shrill beeping noise came from the holoterminal. The holographic image of the Republic command base shifted to an image of the entire planet, and five large warships emerging from hyperspace on the edge of the system. The largest of the five ships was flashing red, identifying it as the Shadow's Fist.

"They're here," murmured Trayko. "We need to assemble our troops immediately."

"Agreed," replied Master Vysalia. "Get to your ships and get board our reinforcement frigates when they get here."

....

Back on board the Vindicator, Commander Cravern had seen the Shadow's Fleet come out of hyperspace. They were barely within range. Despite this, the enemy fleet began to open fire on them from a distance, trying to scare them.

"Sir," called an ensign to Cravern. "The Hand is firing at us... Turbolasers, missiles, and what looks like transport pods. I'm not sure."

"The pods are a distraction," replied Cravern. "Return fire. Try to aim for their power generators. As long as they're damaged and we're not, we still have the advantage. Also, contact Supreme Chancellor Saresh on Coruscant. Tell her we need immediate reinforcements."

The ensign nodded, and got to work on his orders. Moments later, sections of the ship began to shake violently. Modified escape pods with knife-like points jammed through the walls from outside the ship. The points opened up, and Hand boarding troops started pouring out into the hallways.

"Commander," said the ensign. "Engineering is reporting blaster fire. They just cut out."

Commander Cravern turned to a Republic trooper by his side. "Sergeant Jekir," he said. "Take your squad down to engineering and clear it out. Kill all enemy forces you encounter."

The tan-skinned Zabrak trooper Sergeant Jekir nodded. He put on his helmet, wearing a white and dark blue trooper's armor. "We're on it," he replied with a salute. He grabbed his blaster rifle, which was leaning against a nearby terminal, and ran out of the bridge to reach the engineering deck.