16- Tryouts part 1

Start from the beginning

“We’ll keep an eye on her” I said. From the corner of my eye I saw Kasumi and Boris making their way towards us. Kasumi smiled while Boris frowned at Jimhaya.

“Hello Siana, Ren. It’s good to have you back this year.” The Japanese woman said. “And hello Jessica, Jasmine and Jimhaya. We are glad you made it here, Boris and I are very interested in what you can provide today.”

“Thank you” Red replied. “We are very eager to be here.”

“It doesn’t look like it” Boris grumbled staring at Jimhaya. “What’s with the sweater kid? Is this not good enough for you to put a shirt on?”

“There was no dress code in the regulations. I fail to see your point” Jimhaya said when she raised her head to meet Boris’s gaze.

“Coach Boris, please. Jimhaya likes to dress that way but do not judge her for it. You would be very surprised in what she can do during the tryouts.”  Red said. To my left, I heard Ren snort his disagreement. Of course he didn’t see her dismember a guy with her magic or saw her drive her hand in someone’s chest and rip his heart out but I was not going to say anything. Although, it was a great strategy Jimhaya was using. Showing nothing to the opponent so they believe she is weak and vulnerable and become overconfident with themselves. She would use that confidence to create a surprise attack and hit them when they least expect.    

There was a bong sound that echoed through the arena. All the students bundled up together while Boris, Kasumi and Zoe made their way to the front.      

 “Welcome students to the first day of tryout for our Capture the Flag team.” Boris voice beamed through the arena. “This is how it’s going to work: Kasumi and I will be evaluating you during the day. We only take fifteen students to join the team plus three rookies who will not be playing but will be training with the team while the rest of you will watch from the side lines. We will cut some of you on this first day and that means you can’t come back. Every year there are some who try and fit in after we kicked them out of the arena and every year is the same results. We will not have poor sportsmanship either.

 Remember: this sport depends on teamwork. If you cannot function with other people then you do not belong here and you can leave right now” he looked at Jimhaya when he said that but she stared back at him without flinching. “Today, we are going to look at your basic skills. We look at your strengths and weaknesses, magic and combat. It will mostly be individual work and tomorrow will be teamwork and tactics. This year, our dear Zoe is going to be helping Kasumi and I coach this team. She is our apprentice so if she tells you to do something, you shut up and do it” he screamed at the top of his lungs “Now for the warmup, give me twenty laps around the arena.”

Everyone started running at once like a stampede. Most of the students ran hard and strong, trying to show how fast they were. They were all most likely going to be cut because they waist so much energy within the first five minutes, they will not last the day.

Red and I ran at a decent speed to unlock our muscles. We were in the middle of the group while Jessica and Ren were in front of us talking animatedly together. I looked behind me and saw Jimhaya at the back of the group. She didn’t seem enthusiastic to run.

“How did you make Jimmy come?” I asked my friend.

“I told her it was this or I banned coffee” we laughed. “There were a few more threats, but she caved in. I think this is a good rehab for her. She gets to fight, socialize (kind of) and I can watch her at all time”

Once we finished our run, the coaches made us do some push ups, sit ups, chin ups and squats. That was the end of our warm up.

“The first task you must do is an obstacle course. You have 2 hours to finish it or you are out” Kasumi told us “You are not allowed to slow down your opponents. That means no hitting or tripping and no magic against each other.” She came closer to me and whispered “You are not allowed to use your wings. Consider this early training” and to the crowd, she roared “Begin”