6

The Fourth of July was a huge celebration in Summerset. It felt like the entire town turned out for the festivities. It always started with a parade down Main Street that circled what was considered the town center.

People would come early to leave folding chairs, umbrellas, and even canopies to stake out their spot to watch the parade from. We were no exception. There were only a few spots on the parade route that had alleys, and we always snagged one of them as our spot.

Even before doing our chores, Cole drove Seth's car and followed me in my truck. The streets were mostly deserted with the exception of the handful of people setting up their items, meant to hold their tiny bit of real estate for the first of the day's events.

The streets were decorated with U.S. flags on every light pole and building. While other people used chairs and coolers to hold their spot, we used my truck. I turned into the alley and parked the truck with the tailgate facing the street. We drove back with Seth's car to get the work done before the parade and barbecue began. It was a great incentive to breeze through our chores.

I considered telling my brothers of the grim secret I'd learned the day before but decided it could wait another day. No sense ruining one of the best days of the year with bad news. There was no new information about the motorcycle gang, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand how a group that large, on loud bikes, could continue to slip under the radar.

It was only a matter of time before their luck ran out and they'd be arrested for assaulting Seth and threatening Harmony and me. There was little concern that they'd show up today. Too many witnesses—the entire sheriff's department was milling about to ensure a peaceful celebration.

Breakfast was ready when we returned and there was an excited buzz around the table. "I can't wait to buy one of Mrs. Brown's chocolate cream pies," Cole said as he grabbed the last two pieces of bacon.

Mrs. Brown won the baking contest every year, and for good reason. Her baked goods were well known around this part of the state. She'd even won the blue ribbon in the Kentucky State Fair once. It was the sort of food you'd have dreams about. It was that good.

"Better get to her booth early. They go fast." Pa took out a twenty-dollar bill from his money-clip and handed it to Cole. "Get one of her cherry pies, as well. Your ma loved cherry pie." Cole took the bill and smiled at Pa.

Seth was smiling at the conversation but was uncharacteristically quiet this morning. When he returned from the hospital, he went to his room to rest and didn't come out until the evening meal.

"You're healing nicely, Seth," I said, passing him the last piece of toast.

He shook his head. "Yeah, the doc said I was the fastest healer he'd ever seen." His words didn't match his demeanor.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. My head has been hurting and I've been feeling sick to my stomach since they beat the crap out of me." He looked at me then. "And I've had some bad dreams the last two nights. Maybe that whoop'n shook me up a little." Seth almost looked embarrassed to admit it.

"Don't worry about it. That was a serious ass kicking. They could have killed you. Nothing to take lightly," I said, reaching over to clasp his shoulder. He didn't flinch this time.

"What did you dream?" Cole asked, totally oblivious to Seth's discomfort about the topic.

Seth hesitated. "It was weird shit."

"Seth," Pa warned.

"Sorry, Pa." Seth looked at me. "It was all jumbled up and most of it didn't make a lick of sense, but I remember one thing I can't get out of my head."