Chapter 1- Adora

I rap my knuckles against the wall, which is cleverly and subtly disguised as the rest of the open forest, something I'd found by walking straight into it, resulting in a dull throb just above my right eye. I turn and look over at Catra, who's pacing back and forth in the small clearing we're in. I can hear her growling soflty, deep in thought. Then, I look down at the pack I found next to me when I woke up, which has a few different antibiotics, guaze, a small knife, and an empty water bottle. 

"Remind me again how we got here?" She says after a while, about-facing to look at me, her brows furled. I sigh, puff out my cheeks, and promptly sit on a nearby rock.

"For the last time, Catra, I don't know. I don't know how we got here, or where here even is, or how we're going to get out."

Catra throws her hands in the air and groans. I stand.

"Well, I'm not exactly happy about this either. I don't have my sword, and we don't know how to get out. Bow and Glimmer must be worried."

Catra turns and faces away from me.

"Of course."

"What?"

Lightning fast, she turns and pounces on me, one hand on my throat and the other raised, claws out.

"Even now, it's still all about you. You don't have your sword. Boo hoo! I'm scared too! I have people who care about me who are worried too! "

Catra looks ready to say something else, or attack me, but her eyes soften, glinting with sadness. She lowers her hand and climbs off me, sighing.

"Let's just, focus on getting out of here."

So, we do. I pick myself up, sling the pack over my shoulder, and dust myself off. We start our treck into the forest, uncomfortably silent. There's a measurable distance between us as we walk, seemingly for hours on end. I stare up at the sky, seeing the blue slowly fade, and the sun slowly makes its way down to earth. We walk for well over an hour after sunset until Catra finally stops. I figure that she's tired from walking, but I see her ears twitch. She's listening for something.

"Catra?" I ask. She shushes me and continues to stare into the black of the forest, her eyes narrowed. Suddenly, something leaps out of from behind the wood and lunges for the two of us. Catra jumps out of the way, avoiding it, but it slams right into me and knocks me to the ground. I guard my neck and face on impulse, adrenaline pumping. I don't get a good look at it except for a large set of teeth, snarling at me. I feel it sink its teeth into my arm, and I scream in pain and shove it off of me, some of my flesh coming with it. I crawl to my knees to catch my breath and see blood pouring onto the forest floor. I look up at the creature. It's a wolf almost twice the size of a normal wolf, and has jet black fur and red, beady eyes. It's crouched in an offensive reaction, ready to attack me again.

"Catra!" I call out, but I can't see her in the darkness. The wolf lunges at me again, but I hear Catra cry out and leap onto its back, knocking it down. The wolf whimpers and crashes to the ground. I scamper back until my back hits the trunk of a tree. I watch, wide eye, as Catra hisses at the wolf and claws at its eyes, still on its back. The wolf flails around, trying to get  her off of it. She wraps her arms around its neck and pulls, causing the wolf to go up on its hind legs. It topples over and they both fall onto the floor. Both of them stop moving. Wincing, I stand and run as fast as I can over to her.

"Catra?"

I can see her face from underneath its fur. She looks up at me and sighs deeply. I can see a few bruises forming on her skin, and there are multiple scratches and gashes all over her body. She lifts herself from under the wolf and stands, out of breath. She kicks the creature, making sure its down for the count.

"Mangy dog." She hisses.

She regains her composure and looks over at me. Her face turns to one of horror when she sees my arm, which I'm pressing tightly to my stomach. My other hand is cradling it. Blood is soaking through my garments.

"Oh, man, Adora, your arm! I'm so sorry." She says, rushing over to me. I see panic replace the bloodlust in her eyes, and she places a hand on the wound.