What's A Soulmate?

{Sorry that the title and the chapter title are the same thing, I'm not original. Also, I don't speak spanish so I'm using google translate, sorry if it isn't accurate!}

It has officially been a year since the Galra war had ended. And the paladins have all gone about their lives almost as if it never happened. Why almost? Because they've all grown. As friends, teammates, as people. Plus, they were also war heroes and everyone knew their names. Pidge came out as non-binary, making them an icon for non-binary people as well as they have helped change Earth's technology with the help of the Garrison. Hunk became a renowned gorment chef for the whole universe (working sometimes for Verpit Sal's), and is currently in a very happy relationship with Shay. Shiro became the admiral for the Galaxy Garrison, for him being a very strong leader and that they felt that is what Admiral Sanda would've wanted. Allura now rules the Altean Colony, with her amazing girlfriend Romelle at her side along with Coran. 

But what about Lance? Or Keith? Well, let's find out for ourselves.

Lance was so happy to be with his family once more. After all, who knows how long he had been in space without seeing anyone of his family? Besides, it didn't help that when he had breakdowns over missing them or anything like that, his teammates would tease him for it. So while they were in space, Lance normally just kept it to himself, at the worry of getting made fun of. 

But today was very different. While laying on his bed in his bedroom, he went through some of the photos that the paladins and himself have all taken together. But then he stopped on one. It was of him and Keith. Mullet. Emo. Samurai. Though the ex-blue paladin would never admit it, he genuninely missed seeing Keith around. When he came out from the Blades, he was thrilled to see his friend again, but he never got to actually have a reunion to show that he had missed him. Anyways, in the photo, Lance had convinced Keith to take a selfie with him after they exchanged necklaces in his room at the Castle of Lions. It was kind of awkward, but kind of sweet at the same time. 

{Credits goes to the artist (can't read the signature)}

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

{Credits goes to the artist (can't read the signature)}

Lance zoomed in on the photo and noticed that Keith's cheeks were slightly pink, which he had never noticed before. Which was odd, he's looked at this photo multiple times before. But zooming in on his own face, Lance's eyes widened. In the photo, Lance's cheeks were light red. He could feel his face slightly warming up, so when his niece, Nadia, walked in, it was the perfect time to turn his phone off. 

"Hola Tio Lance!" Nadia smiled brightly towards him. Lance tried desperately to hide his phone so she wouldn't suspect anything, but his bright red face wasn't exactly helping either. (Hello Uncle Lance)

"Hola-hola Nadia!" He studdered, Nadia looking at him with a confused look. (Hello Nadia!)

"You mind if I talk to you?" The now ten year old got up onto her uncle's bed, her expression changing from a smile to a little bit more serious. 

Lance nodded, motioning his young niece to continue.

"What's a soulmate?" 

He did not plan for this question. Yes, he had always believed in soulmates (that much was obvious considering he liked Allura the first time he saw her), but he had to learn to move on after Allura and Romelle got together. His feelings are probably still there when he misses her, but it just feels like a distant memory nowadays. But he didn't know if he was the right one to explain this to a ten year old. The question was, from his perspective, why did Nadia choose him to ask this question?