01

Lyra (2)

"The King and Queen lived happily together with their five children. As they watch their children play, the King admires his wife. He wouldn't be the man he is today if it wasn't for her. The couple knew that their love for each other was forever, which made them feel more alive. The End."

I close the book with a smile, looking up at the kids in their bunks. All of them were fast asleep, except for one.

"Always the last one awake." I whisper to her as I stand up from the chair I was sitting on. I place the book back onto the book shelf.

"Can you read it again?" She asks me. I shake my head, "You know the drill, Aimi. Lights out by nine." I put the blanket over her petite body.

Aimi pouts, "Why do you have to go to the Southern Pole?"

"The South Pole." I chuckle her, correcting her. "There's a festival and my family was invited. But I'll be back in a few days, you won't even notice I'm gone."

"Yes I will." She crosses her arms. "Is Mako going?"

"He sure is."

"Ew, you're going to cooties."

I playfully roll my eyes with a smile. "Good night, Aimi. I'll bring you a present from the festival when I get back, okay?"

She happily nods before shutting her eyes. I turn the lamp off then leave out of the room.

>>>

"I have this bond with her and it's dangerous." I tell Mako before I take a bite into my hot dog. We were having a perfect night before We've had countless of them ever since we became a couple. But it feels different now that we're together. A good kind of different. Before, there were feelings untold and sparks flying in the air that we had to ignore. But not anymore. It was like a breath of fresh air.

"I would think that's a good thing. You're getting along with them." Mako responded. I shake my head, "What if I get a different job, she'll be hurt if I leave. Or when she gets adopted, I'll be hurt. I think this attachment is unhealthy."

"There isn't anything you can do now, though. You're already in too deep, you can't just take that away." Mako advised. I huff, "I know."

"What are your plans for the festival?" He throws our trash away as we walked passed a bin.

"I need a little more clarification."

"Aren't some of your family members going to be there? From the Fire Nation?"

I groaned, remembering that we weren't the only ones invited. "I forgot about them. I mean, I'd love to meet them but I don't want it to be awkward now that I know the truth. Especially with Fire Lord Izumi." I widened my eyes, "What if she's going?! If she doesn't like me, she'll tell Iroh every little imperfect detail about myself. Then, Iroh will tell my biological mother who will end up being disappointed on how I grew up and then they'll judge my parents because they think I wasn't raised ri-"

Mako's lips were on mine. His hand behind my head, his other on my waist. I fluttered my eyes open while we pulled away. "You overthink too much." He whispered, his lips still just inches from mine. "She'll love you. If she doesn't, that's her loss because you're perfect. I got your back, okay? It's you and me."

Mako grabbed my hand then guided me around him. He placed my arms around his neck then picked me from under my legs.

"First ride's on me."

I laughed as he began to walk with me on his back. "Good thing since it's so slow."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah."

He began to speed his pace up and my body jumped with every step. Mako spun around and I yelled with joy. Only a small amount of fear snuck out.

We arrived home and it was almost midnight. My father allowed me past curfew only because it was the night before we left for the South Pole.

When we reached the top of the island, I slightly froze when I saw Shady Shin leaning back on a tree. This is fantastic.

Mako crossed his arms, his brows furrowed. "Didn't know the island was a hotel."

Shin smirked, "I was jus' about to check in."

I stepped forward, "Is there something you need Shin?"

"I just wanna talk." He shrugged. "Been waitin' since your folks knocked out."

"You came all the way over here and waited until this time of night just to talk to her?" Mako asked, clearly not amused. "That's a problem."

Shin cocked a brow, "Is it? Your girl said to keep in touch so I'm just takin' up her offer."

Mako snapped his head at me, "What is he talking about?"

I mentally screamed.

"As friends." I turned my head to Shin. "Like we agreed."

Shin scoffed before turning away.

"I thought you said you handled things." Mako said. I nodded, "I did."

He extended his hand out toward Shin, "Obviously not!"

I quickly shushed him. "You're going to wake up the whole island."

"It's 12 o'clock at night, Lyra! There's no reason he should be here!"

"You're overreacting."

"Am I? I'm pretty sure if Asami showed up at my apartment in the middle of the night to just 'talk', you'd have a problem with it."

"No, because I trust you. Clearly, you don't trust me."

"I never said that." Mako points to Shin. "It's him I don't trust."

"You know I wouldn't let anything happen, Mako. If you really — y'know what, I'm not going to argue with you right now. Especially in front of him. So, if you still want to fight, go home." Before he could argue, I stopped him by putting my hand up. "I'll see you in the morning."

He turned on his heel and I sighed. I walked over to Shin, "I'm sorry about that."

"Eh, not a problem."

"I know what I said, Shin. And I meant it." I nodded my head slowly, "But, he's right. You can't just show up here like this. It gives off a bad impression - like you just saw. We can talk about whatever you want when the sun is out. I promise."

With a sad sigh, Shin got up from the tree and walked over to me. "Heard you was leavin' the city. When you comin' back?"

"Not for a couple days. I'll find you though, is that alright?"

He shook his head, a barely noticeable smile on his face. "Nah. I'll know when you get back."

We softly pound our fists together before he walks off. I tiredly slump my shoulders as he leaves.

City boys will be the death of me.