Chapter 14: Sweet 16

Start from the beginning

Acorn's Western Tack

I mounted him and quickly rode to Bright Fields. I rode into the yard and everyone was raising eyebrows when they saw me. I dismounted Acorn and tied him to the fence and I walked into the Riders Lounge, seeing Mia and Jade sitting on the couch.

"Hey guys. What's up?" I asked as I sat down next to Mia and she quickly put away what she and Jade were looking at.

Susie walked in and went to her tack locker. She stopped and looked at me. "Hailey, is Callum coming for your Sweet 16 party?" Susie asked me and I nodded.

"Callum's on my team, so yea he'll be there." I told her as she nodded and walked out of the lounge.

"Always inviting him to everything. Anyone would think you were jealous of Callum and I." Susie joked as I forced out a laugh as she walked away.

I scoffed when she left the lounge. "Jealous? As if I'd go near that rat other than practice." I said as I looked at Jade and Mia.

"Right. It's just, um..." Jade said, looking at the ground. Jade looked up at me. "Well, I didn't want to say anything, but, um, at the beach party...you basically, uh...Well...Becky and me saw you kissing that rat." Jade told me, shyly.

Mia glared at me, waiting for an explanation. "Callum kissed me. Then I slapped him. Did you not see that?" I questioned her, talking softly.

"I told Becky there must have been an explanation." Jade said, relieved.

"Wait, why haven't you told Susie yet, then?" Mia asked me.

"Mia. I know I should, but...Callum will deny it and say it was all me." I said, whispering the last part. "Susie is so into him that she might believe it." I told Mia and Jade.

"Too mad you can't go back in time, show her what happened." Jade said, obviously bummed for me.

I looked at Mia and saw a light bulb go off in her mind. "Or maybe you can." Mia said, looking at me. "How many people are coming to your party?" Mia asked me as I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Not a lot. Like 30-40 people." I told her.

"Perfect. A big crowd. Callum will then lower his defences and then you'll pounce." Mia told me, grasping the air with her hand.

"But she--" Jade said but I cut her off.

"You wanna catch a rat, you've got to set a trap." I said as Mia and I got up and walked out of the riders lounge. We were having the party of the cliffs of Holloway overlooking the beach. "Come on. I wanna show you the venue." I said to Mia as I mounted Acorn and Mia mounted Firefly and rode to Holloway to my venue for the party.

"A tent?" Mia asked me as we dismounted and walked to the tent that is being assembled.

"This is the tent for my party. I'm having this OTT super-sweet 16, so...lots of guests. I also booked the best DJ on the island. We need music for the young and the old to enjoy." I told Mia, sadlysmirking at the sight of the tent being built.

"Hailey, I'm gonna help make this the magical birthday you deserve." Mia said as she slung her arm over my shoulder as I smirked.

The two of us went to Marcus' house to get ready for the party. Mia was wearing a thigh-length baby blue dress with white collar, and I'm wearing red mock neck skater dress.

  Mia was wearing a thigh-length baby blue dress with white collar, and I'm wearing red mock neck skater dress