He drove above the speed limit but cared less. A drive of ten minutes took him five minutes as he stepped out of his car into his hospital. He received news and medical updates from different angles but it was one face he wanted to look at and one voice he needed to hear.

He sped from the elevator, heading to her ward. He heard his daughter's jubilation. She was speaking to him too fast. He has not seen her that happy in a long time. It was then he absolutely believed.

It was true, Laura was awake.

He sighted his mom with Sandra, he nodded to his mom. He then grapped a medical coat from a nurse who was nice to offer. Then dived into the ward.

She was pale but awake. She was blinking her eyes and moving her hands. She looked confused and a little exhausted. She needed space.

He took a moment to watch her brown magnified eyes as it made a curious wander around the ward and tried to comprehend all the chaos around her. He had fallen in love with those eyes at first sight. At that moment, staring at them, he felt enthralled.

He took mild steps towards her. He heard Segun call out his name. He didn't bother to listen.

He felt his shirt being tugged at.

"For Christ sake! What is it?!" He looked at his closest friend furiously.

"I don't think you should speak with her right now."

He stared at Segun like he had grown multiple horns. He tried to smile, "I won't startle her, I swear it. She's my wife for fuck sake!"

He got to her bedside and just stared. A year of not seeing those beautiful eyes wide open, yet he didn't know what to say. She stared back at him. She said nothing.

He was sure she was astonished as he was. He took her hands, they were so warm. He almost cried at how soft they felt.

Oh yes!

He could still feel the freezing spark and the shiver. He was sure she felt it too. Her intake of breath and sharp withdrawal told him she definitely did.

He was meant not to startle her, he just did that. Damn it!

"Hey baby, how are you feeling?" He didn't know what to say, he just wanted to reach out to cuddle her and assure her that everything was going to be okay.

"Katey has missed you so much. We all have. Segun will look into your  discharge soon then we could go home. I'll make sure you get all your hospital treatments at home. Okay. Our moms are here and you should see how ecstatic Katey is. She almost knocked me off my feet just to tell me you were awake. I'll let her..."

Jonathan was babbling. He paused with a smile when he noted her raised eye brow. She always did that when she was confused. He always thought it was cute. He was about to rephrase his words when she finally spoke.

She spoke words that gave him sleepless nights and escalated his doubts for the past twelve months.

"I'm...I am sorry but who are you?" She drew her eyes to the door then back to me.

"I'm sure you are the doctor. Please you must be mistaking me for somebody else." She looked straight at him. It was then he saw the void of recognition in those eyes.

"My name is Margaret Musa. As I have been trying to tell all this people. I'm not sure I know where I am or who all the people you spoke about are but I need to see my mom right away. She hates it when I get back to the village late. Please can you take me to her sir?" She was obviously an adult but she suddenly looked like a little frightened child with no understanding of her surrounding.

Why did those scared eyes remind him of a dream he once had?

"Laury." He said her name like he was trying to confirm the discombobulation he felt in his head.

"It's Maggie for short, if Margaret is not quite easy for you to pronounce, alot of people call me Maggie." She smiled at him like she was trying to keep him calm.

Jonathan was anything but calm. Infact he probably looked too calm, in truth he was loosing his sanity.

Be calm Jonathan, don't frighten her.
Your wife is back. She's talking to you even though it's pounds of gibberish. Jonathan tried to convince himself and hustled to ignore the chills that name sent through his veins.

"I think I'll call you Laury." He let his voice simmer to a plea.

"Why would you want to do that?" Her eyebrow shot up to the sky again.

"It's just a name we love calling you, you like it." He was trying hard to make sense to both himself and the puzzled lady in front of him.

"I guess you can, if it makes you happy Doctor. Can I see my mom now?" That was his Laury, being so selfless and considerate.

He knew she had alot of questions. She looked like she was trying hard to be settled.

He stood up from the bed with all the hope he had mastered, flushed down a gulf.

He turned to call Sandra according to Laura's request and to explain Laury's condition.

He was too late.

They were all standing there. Katherine, his mother and Sandra. Every word was heard.

Jonathan looked at Katey as she gripped his mother's hand tighter.

Sandra had the worst expression like she was going to erupt at any moment. She seemed shocked and older.

"Daddy, what's wrong with Mommy?" Katherine managed to ask.

"Katey bear, why don't you let grandma Naomi take you to..." He didn't get to finish.

"Kath... Katherine? Come over here darling." Jonathan watched his wife smile at their daughter as she ran to stand by her bedside.

They were so beautiful, was the first thought that tolled through his brain then, How was it possible for her to remember their daughter but not him? Was this forever?

He hoped not.

Those weren't the questions that haunted Jonathan. It was the fact that Sandra was in the room along but Laury didn't acknowledge her mom. Instead she still insisted on seeing her mother.

From a village?

He didn't know the answer to that, but he definitely knew where to get the answer for her medicals.

He left the ward while his daughter narrated to her mom about her new ballet classes and all the breakfast she made in every detail.

He stormed into his office. He sounded an order for all his specialists and head nurses to be present at his office immediately. He called from his office line which was connected to all departments. He wanted every possible solution.

He was getting his Laury back, no matter the cost.

 *-----------------------------------------*
Vote, Share and comment!
Thanks for reading.🧡