11

Laura

Lying face up and unconscious, sleeping was obscure to laura. It was strange but peaceful and this time when she closed her eyes, she could still feel herself breathe.

Breathing was a phenomenon man performed without care or strife.
Yet. It was man's only real wealth.

Laura could feel herself waking up. The accustomed fragrance rampaged my nostrils as she opened her eyes.

Laura remembered one thing, as a child, that was probably impossible to forget, which was the fact that she hated two things: surprises and strangers. They were the two things unknown to her and they freaked her out.

Though she woke up with the strange feeling she was forgetting something so important, she didn't like the strange faces and warm looks she woke up to.

Worst, she didn't know what to do or who they were?

"Mummy mummy, we have been waiting for hours. Did you sleep well? I brought ice cream for you but I'm sorry I couldn't resist and I ate it all" Katherine made a funny cute grin as she pointed at the empty box of ice cream.

"It's okay honey, mommys don't take ice cream" Laura rubbed Katherine's braided hair as she smiled.

Katherine seemed to be the only one who made her smile and helped her forget that she was in a hospital with a different name, different people who had the same but different opinion of her and worst she have no idea where Mama, Papa and her sist...

"That's a lie mommy. You love ice cream. Your favorite is chocolate mixed with banana flavor. Dad got it for you every day when he comes back from work or...."

"I like ice cream? To be honest I couldn't even remember the taste of one or the memory of having ice cream. If I remember right, I don't think I - I don't think -"

"You don't think what mom?"

"Katey you want your mommy to have headache because of you? Let her rest okay."

A pretty lady, actually she was more of glowing than pretty. She wore a very lovely gown but enormous like she was hiding something underneath. She spoke to Katherine strictly, yet so calm.

Laura realized that she wasn't in anyway offended at how this lady had spoken to her daughter. The lady had a fair complexion. She also had a very obvious open teeth and a round head that glorified her long black hair that fell off her shoulders.

"I'm sorry Mommy."
"It's okay sweetheart. Any headache is worth hearing your voice," Laura knew the little child leaning on her bed with ease, she found it hard to remember that smile but she just knew it was worth anything.

She knew it was priceless.

Laura watched as Katherine smiled more and ran to other little children that she suspected was the reason she was wake her from her sleep.

"Hey, are you okay?" The fair, pretty lady asked.

"Yes, thanks. You are?" Laura was terrified to as but she knew she had to.

"I'm Bola, we are pretty close. You don't have to say anything about that. We have all been informed about your condition. Katherine just misses you alot. It hasn't been easy." The strange lady spoke everly calm and settled.

Laura didn't know what to say to her last statement because she found it hard to exactly understand what she meant.

The fair lady wrapped her palms around that of Laura. It was a simple action but it felt so gentle and safe.

There was a long silence between them with the lady running her thumb through the back of Laura's hand while she either screamed at the children or spoke to a supposedly dark, quiet man sweetly who Laura assumed was her husband.