Chapter 2 - Controversy and Comfort

Ginny was silent for a moment, her eyes shining with what looked like... tears?

"Harry, I'm sorry but I don't think I can do this."

Harry was stunned. "W-what do you mean?" he asked, his head swimming as he tried to figure out what she was trying to say.

"I-I'm really sorry Harry, but I can't be your girlfriend anymore...."

Harry felt as if he had been falling, and now he had hit the ground.

"What!? Why!? What's going on?" His voice cracked. Ginny, his first crush.... was leaving him?

"It's.. It's just all the pointing and whispering and publicity!" Ginny said, crying now. "And the Slytherins keep calling me 'Potter's bitch' and the other day Romilda Vane hexed me because she was jealous. I can't deal with this, Harry!"

Harry had never felt such a mix of emotions inide him. He was angry, of course, and confused, indignant that Ginny was being bullied, but at the same time, happy that she was because she was breaking up with him.

"So... this is it?" he said, his voice rising to a shout. "I'm the one who killed Voldermort, and you can't handle it?" 

"MY BROTHER DIED!" Ginny screamed at him. "AND IT WAS YOUR FAULT, HARRY!"

Guilt hit Harry like a stone was thrown at his stomach. All he could think about was Fred. Fred laughing, Fred fighting. Fred dead. 

He started to run, away from Ginny, out into the grounds. Anything to escape this guilt. Because... it had been his fault. Fred was fighting for him, so in the end, Fred died for him. 

"Are you ok, Harry?" 

The voice rent Harry out of his swirling thoughts. Romilda Vane was leaning up against a tree, watching him with concern in her eyes.

"No," he said shortly, though deep down, he was touched that she'd asked. No-one else had. And after all, she had hexed Ginny. 

"I bet I can make you feel better," she said softly, moving closer to him.

In spite of himself, Harry stepped closer to her. He was in need of some comfort right now.

However, the kissing might have been a bit much.

He slipped his hands around her waist and pulled her closer to him. Romilda smiled softly, and placed her lips on his. They kissed, softly at first, but then more passionately. He pushed her closer to him. When they broke apart, he smiled, and so did she. That is, until he heard a sob.

Harry turned, surprised, and searched for the source of the noise. Only then did he see curly brown hair whip out of sight.