Chapter 34: Lynch Law

Start from the beginning

But Abraxas didn't appear, his voice didn't sound in the house, his belongings were untouched, and at night the light in his office didn't turn on. Only a lot of people sent letters with condolences to Erica and she didn't know what to do with them. She couldn't live alone without a man, without a patron.

Hope she won't go insane, the concerned thought whirled in Lucius's mind since the early morning. He was forced to admit that there was an unprecedented feeling inside him ─ affectionate pity. People think like that about sick puppies thrown out on the street into the ruthless frost.

Now Lucius was to become the patron of his mother, like his father was. But will it work out?

"Then," Walburga still looked at Lucius, "I want to understand why your raid at Hogwarts ended... like it ended?" Walburga winced.

She knew what kind of wound and where exactly youngest ─ now oldest ─ Malfoy had got, but considered it indecent for a lady to talk about it openly.

"I gave you three weeks to heal! During this time Mungo's mediwizards could grow a new heart for you!" Walburga continued. "I want to hear your explanations immediately."

It was true, for three weeks Malfoy was in St. Mungo's hospital. The werewolf bite isn't terrible for usual Animagus, but not for the wizard who was forced to shift ─ another nail in Parker's coffin.

"Unexpected circumstances spoiled my game," Malfoy said calmly and crossed his legs. Walburga's eyes, watching this gesture, literally caught fire. Lucius didn't obey her. "There was a werewolf at school."

Walburga clicked her tongue and stared suspiciously at Malfoy.

"Does old Dumbledore allow students such liberties?" she said contemptuously, confirming Lucius's suspicions. An average magician, at the words of the werewolf, would panic or at least be slightly surprised, but not Walburga. She was one of those who worked closely with one of the subspecies of Voldemort's servants ─ werewolves.

"And not only," Lucius nodded. "Werewolves are just a light snack in comparison with everything else."

"Didn't you visit Narcissa before acting? She didn't notify you about the werewolf?"

"Narcissa can't know everything."

"But... Lucy," Erica said softly and Walburga turned to the woman. She looked at her as if she was trying to remember who was sitting in front of her. For some reason, this triggered a hot wave of rejection in Lucius. No one dared to treat his family members like that.

"Yes, mother?" he asked affectionately.

"Lucius... you went to school at night. So, you talked to Cissy in her bedroom... at night?"

"Yes, mother."

"But it's, it's!.." Erica's voice became agitated, her eyes filled with misunderstanding, and a glimpse of pity flashed in Walburga's gaze.

"Hard times, darling," she said in a low, insinuating voice and sat down beside Erica, hugging woman's shoulders. "But I believe Lucius didn't allow himself to get out of line."

Her lips tightened, she still remembered the letter in which Narcissa accused Malfoy of various kinds of... antics. On the other hand, Narcissa was never a quiet child, and she couldn't have full faith in girl's words.

"Of course, Mrs. Black, of course," Erica nodded weakly and sighed. She didn't understand anything at all.

"You should rest, my dear," Walburga continued almost gently. "I'll do all the work."

"Not to worry."

Walburga and Erica both raised their heads, their eyes filled with sincere surprise. Lucius himself was amazed at how powerful his voice sounded.