Chapter 15: Betrayal

(This will most likely be the last chapter in Slaughter/Nightshade's POV. After this I will go back to switching between Winter and Moon for the chapter POVs.)

  "I knew it."

  Nightshade was suddenly tackled to the ground, immense pressure holding him down. He found himself staring into a pair of blood red eyes. Shadow's eyes.

  "By all the moons, what do you think you're doing?!" he shouted. "Get off of me! That is an order!"

  The bulky dragon on top of him didn't budge, instead piercing through his scales with the tips of his claws, drawing a tiny amount of blood. 

  Nightshade looked over to where Twilight was standing, pleading for her to help with his eyes. She nodded, before slamming her tail into the side of Shadow's head as if it was a club, sending him crashing into the dirt.

  Shadow was almost instantly standing again, and he reached out toward Twilight with one arm. The hybrid was suddenly lifted off the ground, and as Shadow moved his arm in a pushing motion, she was moved closer and closer to the edge of the cliff the three were standing on.

  Nightshade's eyes widened in shock, but he quickly used his animus magic to start bringing Twilight back to solid ground.

  Or at least he tried to. However, for some odd reason, nothing happened. He attempted it once more, focusing a little harder this time. Still, nothing happened.

  Shadow smirked at him. "Don't bother trying to use your powers, Slaughter. Or should I say, Nightshade."

  "What did you do?" he snarled, his blue eyes narrowing to slits.

  "Oh, nothing much...I just used my animus magic to remove yours. Forever." Shadow gave a toothy grin, and an evil one at that.

  Nightshade felt extremely confused. "How long have you had your powers?"

  "Since I hatched, that's how long. You wouldn't know that, because I never told you. Well, at least you don't remember me telling you."

  The hybrid was about to respond, but Shadow continued.

  "And I bet you're wondering how long you've had your powers, right?" he asked. "Well, the answer is, only about a year. Remember when we first met? Oh that's right; you don't, because I wiped it from your memory. I was the only one who would help you when you were all alone. You were so desperate for somewhere to stay that I knew you would do absolutely anything for me as long as I helped you. And at the time, I had been planning to take over this pathetic continent. So, I thought, why not give an impressionable homeless dragon animus powers and convince him that it was his plan to dominate Pyrrhia? And that is exactly what I did. You always thought that I was your little sidekick, that you found me, and recruited me for your master plan. But as it turns out, you have just been a pawn in my master plan."

 (I'm going to another paragraph for this dialogue because that one was getting too long. Sometimes authors do that in stories.)

  "I corrupted your mind, filled it with even more hatred and rage that had been there before I met you," Shadow hissed, stalking closer to Nightshade. "And it turned you into the perfect leader for this kind of a plot; everyone suspects the raging thunderhead with a limited temper to be the one in control of a plan like this, but they never suspect the sidekick. I was planning to use you for my plan a bit longer, however, you of course, just had to meet Twilight here, didn't you? She's turned you soft, Nightshade. You've fallen head over talons for this girl, and we both know it. You've lost too much anger for you to be useful to me anymore. Normally I would kill you both, but I want you to sit back and watch as I reshape this continent in my image. My soldiers finally brought in the last tribe queen, Queen Snowfall. She eluded me for quite awhile, but now we have her and several other high-ranking individuals from the Ice Kingdom in our custody, including princes Winter and Hailstorm."

  "Welp, it was fun while it lasted, Nightshade. It was fun while it lasted..."

  Then, Nightshade's vision went black, and everything went silent.

  (Short chapter, I know, and lots of dialogue from Shadow, I know, but I wanted a whole chapter dedicated to him revealing that he was really the one behind eveything all along. Did any of you expect this? Comment below, and tell the truth! Cataclysm138, out!)